From the Sussex Riviera

skridlov

Hi there everyone

by no stretch of the imagination would I describe myself as a watchmaker and at my age I never will be able to. However I've been a modest collector for many years. I've recently thrown my lot in with an old friend who has dealt in watches for decades. He has a huge number of "project" watches which have been accumulating and we're sharing the load of reviving and selling them. There are many interesting specimens which over the years have become more and more viable for resuscitation. He's quite comfortable with basic maintenance and minor repairs and I'm quite competent at project management (30 years in media IT and associated technologies.) Here's a snap of some of our stock - lots more to unpack and start categorising. Forgive me if I post the occasional naive question!

Roy

Watches-9144.JPG

• Like 1

Yes, many interesting items and many more in bags. My mate Len hadn't laid eyes on some for up to 25 years but has an amazing memory for where and when he found them. Some fascinating bits and pieces. Much of it could be sold "as is" but we're going to try to revive as many as possible. There are very many so called "trench" watches with lovely movements, many Borgel cases. Commonest problem with these is stems and crowns. I'm going to try to identify all the good movements as a first step toward trying to source replacement parts. It occurs to me that if several identical parts are required it may be possible to have them made by a small precision engineering company rather than paying UK watchmaker prices which push these into the realm of non-viability.

Roy

Here's an interesting pocket watch

PW-pillar-1260005.JPG

• Like 1

I cannot read the name on the plate, if you can get your hands on the books Watch and Clockmakers of the World volume one and two you should be able to find him along with the date of when he was making pocket watches. The bow is not the original; I think it also has maintaining power it looks like it, which is a higher-grade movement. The dial is what I expected to see plain and simple, one hand has been replaced and I think it’s the minute hand, the hour hand style is spade the minute would also be plain and not decorative.  

Welcome and I'm going to guess it's Jos Stephens of London on your fusee:

http://www.academia.edu/4132414/LIST_OF_MEMBERS_OF_THE_CLOCKMAKERS_COMPANY_OF_LONDON_FROM_THE_PERIOD_OF_THEIR_INCORPORATION_IN_1631_TO_THE_YEAR_1732.1_By_C._OCTAVIUS_S._MORGAN_F.R.S._F.S.A

Just a guess mind you, keep us updated on any unusual finds in your hoard!:)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GeorgeClarkson said:

nice pocket watch! and nice collection too! If you happen to find some chronographs.... ;) let me know!

There's one nice movement with a nearly perfect dial - the gold case was scrapped year ago (yes, I know...). It's probably a Venus movement. Can't recall the brand name on the dial but it's a similar design to an Orfina which I've had for years. I'll send you a snap if you'd like.

At present we're just trying to catalogue what we've got and try to figure out the best plan for marketing it all. Some we'll sell "as is" but some we're going to try to revive first. My partner in this project is reasonably experienced at basic handling of watches but this is all a bit of an adventure - for our advanced ages.

Found an interesting Czarist era Russian item. If only I could find it...

14 hours ago, skridlov said:

There's one nice movement with a nearly perfect dial - the gold case was scrapped year ago (yes, I know...). It's probably a Venus movement. Can't recall the brand name on the dial but it's a similar design to an Orfina which I've had for years. I'll send you a snap if you'd like.

At present we're just trying to catalogue what we've got and try to figure out the best plan for marketing it all. Some we'll sell "as is" but some we're going to try to revive first. My partner in this project is reasonably experienced at basic handling of watches but this is all a bit of an adventure - for our advanced ages.

Found an interesting Czarist era Russian item. If only I could find it...

Yes please, I would like to see that... can't promise anything though, since I have been on a "Russian Chronograph Buying Rampage" lately.... :P

• Like 1