Hilts

Hello folks,

First post to say hello, lots of very knowledgeable people and information here , a great site so thought i would join up.

Just starting my journey of discovery with watches, after a lifetime of mechanical engineering and taking things apart. Charged and found guilty of disassembling a Stanley hand drill chuck aged 7, apparently it took me 2 hours to put it back together, so i have form if nothing else.

I currently have an Omega Seamaster Deville (Caliber 562) that I am looking at servicing. I am taking it very slowly, reading lots and trying to gather from others,  I am humbled by how much skilled people are willing to share here.

Kind regards to all 

Hello Hilts and welcome I would agree with @clockboy find yourself a couple of cheap working automatic  movements first. Strip them and rebuild them to a running state. Don't rush into such a nice movement because its there. Take your time and get to grips with your tools first handling parts with tweezers takes a while to master.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome, your best bet in starting out is get hold of a few pocket watches (not fusee's) and just keep taking them apart and putting them back, don't matter if they don't work, get to know the names of the parts, they won't be automatics but you will learn a lot, there just like a watch but much bigger, what you have is a very expensive watch and is classed as a high grade watch movement, its a hell of a step jumping in on something like an Omega, its like jumping in water and swimming but you haven't learned to swim. There's loads of advice on here about the sort of tools you will need as well.   

• Like 2

A warm welcome to the forum Hilts.  Your background, including the juvenile overhaul of a Stanley hand drill, is almost identical to mine.

The advice you've received already is very sound, I too would stress that you do not make a 562 movement your first victim.  Here is a link to a topic relating to a 561 movement I serviced a while ago.  This will give you a good idea of the complexity you will have to contend with.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies folks.

I guess i was hoping for a "give it a go son" post in reply, but your collective wisdom is too much to ignore.

I have a couple of books under my belt and a couple of Doanld de Carle's coming, whilst i collect tools together.

I am spending a bit each month and having a lovely time selecting. I have also been wowed by the watch repair channel on you tube and low and behold it seems to be Mark on here so kudos and respect to him. I take your point about tools and was cognisant of this when watching one of Marks video's as I observed him approaching parts to pick up with tweezers closed then opening them to the required size which struck me as quite sensible but not something i would have done naturally.  

Geo thanks for the link, wonderful. I also saw  canthus's thread on the similar Cal 552  and the excellent tool they made for the reversing gear assembly, this has inspired me to do the right thing and get some simpler movements to practice on .

Thanks again to all. 

Hello Hilts and welcome from me.
Glad you have seen the light. Always best to take it slow. Don't forget to take a pic before and after you remove each part and you will always have a guide on getting things back in the right place.
Cheers,
Vic