Bergeon hand fitting tool magnetized?

Ishima

I have a Bergeon 7402-2 hand press tool, and recently (I've had it for a number of months before this issue cropped up) it seems to be constantly magnetically attracting the hands to the supposedly plastic tips? It's becoming a source of consternation, I keep running the tool over the de-mag and sometimes alternating with de-maging the hand I'm trying to press, after several attempts it usually fixes the problem, but tomorrow I'll pick it up and it will likely do the same thing, it's not stored near anything I could think would cause it. And with the plastic tips I'm not sure how this is even possible? My other bergeon hand presses haven't given me trouble, just the 7402-2. Am I alone? does anyone have advice?

Try an antistatic strap, the same device used by electronics technicians to remove static before working on sensitive electronics.

220px-Antistatic_wrist_strap.jpg

The alligator clip goes to a grounded metal plate; the bracelet goes around your wrist.  It will drain off any static charge in your body as well as tools you may be holding.

Or this kind of thing

http://www.somersetsolders.com/anti-static-spray-for-plastics-hard-floors-and-non-porous-surfaces/p403?gclid=Cj0KEQiA5IHEBRCLr_PZvq2_6qcBEiQAL4cQ07qKVckV9OSRrykG9o7joPhSVphuAdmG-28zqj7BGpEaAgjn8P8HAQ

I assume from your description that you are definitely dealing with attraction, not stickiness and that its most likely static, not oil.

The wrist strap may help, but in an electronics environment it should be part of a system which elimantes most causes of static build up and provides a dissipative path (not a direct earthing path, but through a resistor) for any that do build up.  Special flooring, shoes, lab coats, bench mats, etc.

Agreed. The earth grounding point in an electronics lab has a 1MOhm series resistor to limit current.  That is a safety measure because the operator is working around potentially lethal electricity.  There is no such threat when working around watches.