Do you remember your first time?

Pip

A bit of a moment for me today - officially resurrected my first dead watch! Not exactly a sought after classic, a defunct Seiko quartz V657-7100 that I got off the bay for a few quid. Not working, crystal that was too knackered to see through and full of crud. I took out the movement and gave it a bit of a sloosh, new battery, changed the crystal (first time for that too, loving my new screw down crystal/case press) and gave it all a bit of a polish with some Cape Cod. Although movement was officially working a day or so ago I've been waiting for the press for reassembly - my official timeline stopped when I got it all back together. Bracelets too **BLEEP** small though! And looking at the pics I may have to pop the crystal and align the bezel again.
But I'm a proud puppy. Woohoo! Onto the next one...

32314871306_172bc02299_z_d.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2017 at 3:02 AM, ricardopalamino said:

Any idea yet what your next one might be ???   Keep us posted and good luck .

Well at the moment Louis I have a couple of non runners on the go that are in the parts tray while I try and work out what's wrong, a Bellmatic (that I'm about to start trying to learn to remove rust from the movement) and a Seiko 66-6000 on the way that I have no idea what's wrong with it but is described as non working. And unfortunately I have the builders in so have lost half my house and most of my time, so not much chance to practice. Spending most of my time researching and reading.

1 hour ago, Pip said:

Well at the moment Louis I have a couple of non runners on the go that are in the parts tray while I try and work out what's wrong, a Bellmatic (that I'm about to start trying to learn to remove rust from the movement) and a Seiko 66-6000 on the way that I have no idea what's wrong with it but is described as non working. And unfortunately I have the builders in so have lost half my house and most of my time, so not much chance to practice. Spending most of my time researching and reading.

Wow , If you are ready to attempt a service on a bellmatic my hat's off to you and I wish you good luck . I have never really been a Bellmatic fan , but it just so happens  that I picked up a free donor yesterday that has broken parts but a beauty blue dial and the original band .

This watch has seen better days , but i picked up a running watch, head only , that is the same case as the non-runner . I hope to get one nice runner from the 2 watches .

I guess I was on a Bellmatics roll because I also picked up this Nice running specimen for a good price . It needs a new crystal that I am in the process of getting , but it has a coffin link Bracelet that I'm a sucker for . I have a coffin link on my Bulova Accutron Astronaut and I love it .

58b4c206715ce_ScreenShot2017-02-27at2_11_16PM.png.477aabf74e101786ee65d0b17b69ccb2.png

58b4c22ec0e47_ScreenShot2017-02-27at2_11_28PM.png.f715da7a4b038f867e7fb1e31dff4dd7.png

58b4c25115b5c_ScreenShot2017-02-27at2_11_41PM.thumb.png.d353dbf35c0d9910a97f75a6c0aad7ba.png

Do you have the Bellmatic / 4006 tech sheet ? It's quite long and involved and you may want to study it before you start your project .

If I'm not mistaken , the Seiko 66 morphed into the 6602 which tech sheets are also available .  You can go to the Seiko Citizen Watch forum and find those tech sheets and many other things Seiko and Citizen .

Yes, BM's are very complicated I've read, but then one I have is junk at the moment so I can't make it worse. I have the tech guides and have also studied (and made a book of) the teardowns on another site so will be as prepared as I can. I've also just ordered the movement holder from Adrian, I figure every little will help!
Wish me luck...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk