Two from the 'bay.. part 1, Seiko 7005-8040

Just received 2 ebay purchases over the weekend and thought I'd share why I bought them

First up is a Seiko,

Nothing fancy in the description, some basic pics...

Seiko ebay 1.pngSeiko ebay 2.png

The pictures the seller posted showed that although the crystal was shot, the dial and hands were reasonably decent.

Seiko ebay sellers 1.jpg

It had an original bracelet and Seiko clasp, this is important for me, not only because it's getting rarer, but the fact the strap is still there probably meant the watch was not used that hard!.

Seiko ebay sellers 2.jpg

Seiko ebay sellers 3.jpg

Caseback has survived without the usual mangling .. and it's a 'proof' watch. Post 1970 they went with 'resist'. Small point in its favour.!

Seiko ebay sellers 4.jpg

And the mechanism had no visible water damage. The crap around the caseback can also be a plus in that it shows the seller hasn't bothered to tidy it up and what you see is what you get!

Seiko ebay sellers 5.jpg

Well, when it arrived, I was happy to see that it was as advertised..

P_20170114_160239.jpg

P_20170114_221658.jpg

what I did not really like was the associated DNA from the previous owner.. if you have a weak stomach I suggest you stop reading here!!

P_20170114_160321.jpg

I believe this watch was unused for a long time as the crap had dried to a fine dust.. Needless to say this required drastic action. My favorite is boiling the thing in a saucepan for about 10 minutes. The boiling action is similar to an ultrasound. After boiling its into a jar with some washing up soap and then into the jewelry ultrasound. The water in the ultrasound was quite clear after the cycle so practically all the stuff was cleaned out during the boil-and soap sessions!

P_20170114_160407.jpg

The movement is sluggish and stops so it will need a service and the case will get a mild polish. The dial is almost perfect and I couldn't resist putting on a new crystal to see how it looks.

P_20170114_221529.jpg

All in all well worth the USD9.99.

Part 2 to follow.

Anilv

• Like 1