Free Moebius D5 with short shelf life

MikeAdvicePI

I have some Moebius D5 I bought from Cousins last year. It's a 20ml bottle which I'm unlikely to finish in my lifetime, let alone between now and the end of April 2017 which is the shelf life expiry date of this batch.

DSC_0776.jpg

I haven't been able to find a clear answer to just what the expiry date means for the oil in the bottle. Does it mean the oil should no longer be used from that date? Does it mean that if you use it at the end of the shelf life period the oil will do its job for another two or three years in the watch? Either way, as a tinkerer I'd be content to use it for the next couple of years. That would still leave me with more D5 than a hobbyist would ever need, so I'm planning to keep 2ml and I'm offering the rest of the bottle to other tinkerers in either 1ml or 2ml doses.

DSC_0775.jpg

I have some new small 2ml glass bottles, an unopened syringe and a blunt mixing needle to decant the oil without contamination. You can have it for free, but I'll provide my paypal address in the package if you want to make a voluntary contribution to the P&P. If all of the oil is taken I'll post an update in this thread.

DSC_0774.jpg

PM me with a postal address and tell me whether you would like 1ml or 2ml.

• Like 7

Interesting regards oil shelf life. Synthetic has practically replaced the old type oils. I wouldn't rush to dispose of your surplus d5. I would be happy to use in 2017 and service the movement or inspect it 3 years later. As a hobby where low volume of oils is going to be used, mobius 9104 is a far better choice than d5. It's suitable for all d5 applications and is fully synthectic and is good for 5 to 7 years at least.
I sort of think regards shelf life while the oil is reducing friction, lubricating, not gumming up, it's good to go.
I suspect specific shelf life is more to do with marketing ploys than reality but it shouldn't be ignored

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect there's a lot of snake oil (pun not intended) in the watch oil industry. Synthetic oils are not necessarily better in all respects, and natural oils have their own advantages in some cases. I wouldn't be surprised if this bottle of D5 was perfectly useable for several years. Perhaps the only fair way to test would be to leave droplets alongside some alternative oils and monitor how they deteriorate over a long time. 

• 2 months later...