Seiko westminster chimer strange issue

clockboy

My wife purchased a really nice wall clock. It has a quartz Seiko Westminster/Whittington chime movement and all works perfect until 9.0 am. It chimes 9 chimes @ 9.0am then at @ 9.07am it chimes 9 chimes again. It then is out of sequence by 7 mins & as yet I don,t know if it sorts itself out. Just by chance has anyone come across this issue. I suspect the answer will be a new movement. :mellow:

Just an update it appears it only does this between 9.0am & 9.45am. then goes back in sync at 10.00.am.
My knowledge with quartz is limited but I am guessing there is some sort of timing disc for the chimes & just this area is corrupted/dirty. I will not touch unless the fault develops. I am normally in my workshop or out by 9.00am anyway . :D

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/strike-chime-with-pendulum-seiko

• Like 1

I am the same not a great lover of quartz BUT her who must be obeyed purchased it.B)

For those who do own one or purchase one the set up is after fitting a new battery it only chimes the hours for the first 90mins & then it is in sync and chimes on the 1/4's & 1/2 hours. Also @ 11.00pm it stops chiming  & starts again @ 5.45am. 

The only issue with this movement is between 9.00am & 9.45am which is fault I can live with.

Hello CB

"The only issue with this movement is between 9.00am & 9.45am which is fault I can live with."

You have noticed it, talked about it, thought about getting it fixed, I reckon it's going to "tee" you off and get into your head then it will have a big accident involving you and a hammer when the better half is out for the night (:-))

OH will probably chip in and say it's the best thing for it (;-))

Cheers,
Vic

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vich said:

Hello CB

"The only issue with this movement is between 9.00am & 9.45am which is fault I can live with."

You have noticed it, talked about it, thought about getting it fixed, I reckon it's going to "tee" you off and get into your head then it will have a big accident involving you and a hammer when the better half is out for the night (:-))

OH will probably chip in and say it's the best thing for it (;-))

Cheers,
Vic

:D

Is there much paranormal activity in your house, I have noticed that my screwdrivers and tweezers keep moving from where I left them when I am tinkering with my watches, sometimes they dissappear totally and re-appear underneath something else.  When I complain my wife just looks at me and shakes her head and mutters something about "getting worse".

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Ok so I have one of these and it works for a while then starts to chime at 24 past and adds an hour to the chime sequence. Sometimes chimes at 38 past also and becomes more and more erratic with respect to odd chiming times. If I reset the chimes (by pressing the AM/PM chime buttons, it chimes the correct number the first hour then goes haywire again... I did leave the battery out for a while and when I started it again it behaved perfectly for about a week then started misbehaving again. A friend in IT suggested removing the battery and leaving it in the fridge over night... haven't tried that yet  - just turned the chime down so I cant hear it!

Hi these are wholly quartz / solid state devices battery controlled with some plastic gear work. The gears can be removed and cleaned  but the whole movement costs around £ 30 as a replacement. Will take around an hour to fit and is the cost effective answer.    I built a clock for my Brother with the Seiko movement several years ago still up and running.