Kundo Anniversary Clock

Tmuir

I really enjoyed fixing the Hitech floating balance clock that I serviced recently, and as it was made to look like an Anniversary Clock I figured I would like to try my hand at a real Anniversary clock.

Whilst doing a random check of Gumtree I came across this one and picked it up for a reasonable price.

the story that goes with it was the elderly gentleman that sold it to me his father was an accountant working for the RAAF in Singapore in the 1950s and his mother used to regulary get asked to cut ribbons when new buildings were opened. On one occasion she was presented with this clock. Being an RAAF family they used to get sent to a new station every few years so the clock never really saw much use.

Other than some tarnishing on the base the clock seems in reasonable condition and could just benefit from a service.

This clocks movement is not listed in my Horolovar book, so if anyone has some other reference that can confirm it is from the 1950s or other details about the clock that would be great.

I'll spend a couple of days rereading my Horolovar 400 day clock book before touching this one though as this will be my first time working on one of these style clocks.

Anyhow enough typing and time for some photos.

Kundo1.png

Kundo2.png

Kundo3.png

I have serviced/repaired quite a few of these & I like them a lot. However I have found everything has to be in really good order for them to run consistently. As oldhippy says the suspension spring is critical just too thick or too thin and you will not be able to regulate. The book you have explains everything you need to know so well worth reading before the repair.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, clockboy said:

I have serviced/repaired quite a few of these & I like them a lot. However I have found everything has to be in really good order for them to run consistently. As oldhippy says the suspension spring is critical just too thick or too thin and you will not be able to regulate. The book you have explains everything you need to know so well worth reading before the repair.

The book gives the size and measurements for the s/spring, the critical part is in the length, it has to be just right so it doesn't rub, but locks correctly when being moved or transported and doesn't kink the s/spring, as you can see in the photo, also isn't there supposed to be a s/spring protector?

Thanks everyone.

I have now found it in my book, I mistakenly only looked in the Kundo section of the book.

Yes it should have a cover and mine is clearly missing, bummer, but not the end of the world.

In my defence I handed my notice in at my work yesterday and was told I would be put on gardening leave from today for the next 4 weeks as I'm going to work for the opposition, this meant I lost my company card today so had to rush off at 10pm last night to pick up the clock rather than this Sunday like I had planned, so was tired when I posted.

31 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Hope all goes well with the new job & the clock. 

del

Thanks, pay is less, but not being on call 26 weeks a year makes it worth it.

Whether it goes well or not with the clock I will learn from it, although obviously I'm planning on the service going well. :-)

I also got 2 more packages today, my Russian tank clock and my new set of Horotec watch screwdrivers, so 4 weeks paid holiday and new tools and another clock makes today I pretty good day.

2 hours ago, Tmuir said:

Thanks, pay is less, but not being on call 26 weeks a year makes it worth it.

Whether it goes well or not with the clock I will learn from it, although obviously I'm planning on the service going well. :-)

I also got 2 more packages today, my Russian tank clock and my new set of Horotec watch screwdrivers, so 4 weeks paid holiday and new tools and another clock makes today I pretty good day.

Congrats on the new role. I guess you are going to be knee deep in clock and watch parts for the next month then!

Only after my last order from Cousins arrives which contains the watch grease I need for the keyless work.

My wife also I think has plans for me to spend the month fixing everything around the house.....