Escapement Tester

chadders1966

Hi

I managed to pick up very cheaply a Bergeon 2229 Escapement Tester, not working and in need of a bit of tlc. I'm completely stumped by the mess the spring is in - not sure what to call it, it's like a large hairspring. I think I know its purpose, it provides the tension to return the lower wheel to its starting position, which in turn moves the hand on the dial. As you can see though it is in a complete mess, well beyond my limited hairspring manipulation abilities.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement spring? As I said it's very much like a hairspring, but bigger - thickness is .03mm, height is 0.26mm. Alternatively is there anyone/where I could send the spring to for fixing? It would be a pity not to be able to fix it. Thanks

Stephen

20170108_145710.jpg

20170108_145724.jpg

• Like 1

Hi

I managed to pick up very cheaply a Bergeon 2229 Escapement Tester, not working and in need of a bit of tlc. I'm completely stumped by the mess the spring is in - not sure what to call it, it's like a large hairspring. I think I know its purpose, it provides the tension to return the lower wheel to its starting position, which in turn moves the hand on the dial. As you can see though it is in a complete mess, well beyond my limited hairspring manipulation abilities.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement spring? As I said it's very much like a hairspring, but bigger - thickness is .03mm, height is 0.26mm. Alternatively is there anyone/where I could send the spring to for fixing? It would be a pity not to be able to fix it. Thanks

Stephen

20170108_145710.jpg

20170108_145724.jpg

This is really cool. How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 hours ago, jdrichard said:

This is really cool. How much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It's just a lump of metal at the moment unless I can get this spring sorted. It cost nothing I suppose as it was in with a bunch of tools I only really bought for the staking set, presumably the seller had no idea what was in there. It's a good job really as a new one costs nearly £900 - this must be a new record for Bergeon vastly overcharging for stuff.

1 hour ago, StuartBaker104 said:

You could treat it as hairspring manipulation practice, or ask these guys

http://www.britishprecisionsprings.co.uk/

S

As I said there is no way I can sort this myself, it is far too tangled. I struggle trying to correct a slight bend ;). I had noticed that company but I am not exactly sure what this spring is. It looks like a cross between a hairspring and a mainspring. It's quite flat and has some height like a very small mainspring, but the material is more like a hairspring. I did wonder if it might be a clock hairspring, but I have no idea what they are like.

You might have a look at spare parts for aneroid barometers as they use a similar spring on the pointer.

However, clock hair spring may be your best bet. I have a few knocking around, if you can estimate what the overall diameter of the spring should be I can have a look and see if I have got anything that you can try. As it is essentially just a return spring I doubt that the other measurements are that critical.

• Like 1

Hi Marc

Thanks for that, you are quite right that I doubt any part of it is that critical providing it has the strength to absorb the movement and then return. I got the height to be 0.26mm and the thickness to be 0.03mm. Measuring the outside coil as it is now it is about 10mm diameter, which could have been distorted. Measuring from the outside pinning point to the pivot hole is 5.5mm, giving a diameter of 11mm. Anything more than this would interfere with the wheel, though I don't see why a larger spring couldn't be cut to size. Thanks

Stephen

OK, I have had a look through the clock mainsprings that I have and they are all way too big. The collets are 3mm+ OD x 1.5mm ID and the springs are 0.49mm x 0.12mm and nearly 30mm diameter. :unsure:

I think that I have some pocket watch hair springs somewhere so will dig a little deeper. Bear with me though as it may be a day or two. unfortunately the day job has a tendency to get in the way of the important stuff....

• Like 1

Thanks for looking anyway Marc, if you can find something it would be great, if not no problem. I have seen various clock hairsprings advertised, but there are never any dimensions so I don't know if they'd be suitable. Either post here or PM me whenever is convenient.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Marcs generous help in providing a suitable pocket watch hairspring (collet needed some tightening :)) this is now operating again. I'm not sure how much use I will make of it, but I do think it is the most excessive Bergeon overcharging I have yet come across. Around £8-900 for some pieces of steel, brass, a spring and a dial? Great business if you can get it. Not bad for nothing though.

Stephen

20170122_142634.jpg