Eagles table top clock by a C.Amadei

GeorgeClarkson

A couple of years ago a very old lady living next to us ( she was 90) and with whom I was befriended and took care for together with my wife (relatives basically abandoned her to live alone in that flat, bit she was almost self sufficient) passed away after a couple of weeks in the hospital, but before she was gone, she presented me with her clock, a 2 eagles wooden clock signed by a C.Amadei that needed some love, just like her.

IMG_20170108_091927335.jpg

IMG_20170108_091959701.jpg

IMG_20170108_092024570.jpg

IMG_20170108_092017710.jpg

I have never heard of C.Amadei but I expect its who made the case. From what I can see at the back the movement is a 30 hour movement with a balance wheel it might be 8day but I doubt it, the type of movement you would expect to find in a case typical clock insertion movement. I don't now if this type of movement is made today, back in the 70's and 80's you could buy replacement movements to fit for a few pounds it even included dial, hands and back plate. To remove the moment, undo the key and pull the hand set off, undo the nuts and pull the movement out. The pallets will be of the pin type. This is the type of movement I would start an apprentice with, simple and easy to understand. Sorry you don't have a Thomas Tompion.:D  

The movement has already been service 1 year ago actually, i made photos but never posted them, was too busy and not my focus, I will post them next week.

I opened this thread now since I noticed that it has staffed to run fast, it gained 15 minutes in 12 hours.

I installed an app on my mobile, not a timegrapher, but gives an approximative idea. Here the screenshot

Screenshot_20170108-091906.png

Could the clock been exposed to any magnetic force. Must be worth a look at the hairspring to see if any "Crud" has found its way between the spring coils?
The carving on the case looks really nice. Could it be French or Austrian with those eagles. Looks Frenchy to me ?

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

That is what I expect to see, looks like a 30 hour movement. With this type of balance staff they tend to lose their point so the action of the balance can be poor, so the balance is put into a lathe minus the hairspring and is sharped into a point on both ends, sometimes with lack of oil the cups wear and have to be repaired or replaced. The hairspring should bounce in the regulator from one end to the other in order for the regulator to work properly.   

• Like 1

The 1 minute you see on the screenshot is not real, it was still adjusting when I took that screenshot, then had to leave the room since my baby daughter was calling.... When I returned, it had settled around +4 minutes, but with a baby on the hands it is hard to mess with the mobile to take a screenshot.