Waltham PW Mainspring Disassemble

MrBeat

Happy New Year All :)

Well its a good start to the year and ive already come unstuck.

I don't usually work on American watches but i have a Waltham that requires a new mainspring and ordinarily this is a non issue but i can not see how the barrel comes apart to change it as it seems stuck in place ? Does the barrel arbour get punched out ? I can not for the life of me see how to get this out it seem intent on staying in ?

Any help with pointing out my obvious error will be most appreciated, Photos Below >

DSC00336.jpgDSC00337.jpgDSC00338.jpg

It appears theres play but the thing does not want to come apart, am i missing a secret here ?

Well the penny dropped :D

Turns out the arbour is a two piece that screws together, although this one had ceased and just needed an extra umppfff to get her to release. Apparently this is a common assembly on Walthams of 19 Jewels ( this case a Cresent Street ), a small and old picture on the interwebs from Waltham shows the assembly which is why it had me baffled for a moment.

Now the parts are cleaning before new spring is fitted, problem solved :)

• 4 months later...

@MrBeat @oldhippy I'm in the middle of replacing am mainspring on a Waltham 12s and I'm having similar trouble.  I thought maybe the plate held the assembly together, but it's near impossible to install without the mainspring lifting the cover slightly off the barrel, unseating the pivot.  I had no trouble getting the arbor out though, this one appears to feed through the assembly, but there is no means to keep everything captured prior to installation.  Really stumped here.  

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Thanks again for all the help. I found a number on the movement (715) after much searching. I guess it's the below movement so I will order than and see how I get on. https://www.ronda.ch/en/productfinder/caliber/715
    • Hi. Thing to do is measure the battery space.  Diameter.  X depth ..    I have seen it listed as  sr626sw.  377 measure to check then check the dimensions of the 377.    
    • Hello!  Does anybody have this tool?  This is mine.  If you have one, does it look complete?  How do you use it.  (I have the instruction sheet but it's hard to read!)  thanks!
    • @JohnR725 that's very helpful.  I appreciate the time you took to give those instructions and post the pictures.  below is a picture of my staff, which looks identical to the ones you posted.  The approx measurements I got are: .772 on the left part of the staff; .715 on the right side of the hub; the hub is 1.107; and the overall length (minus the broken pivot) is 5.248; which seem to line up with the measurements you posted.  I didn't think to measure the pivot, which I'll do if there's enough of one left on the staff.  Thanks again.
    • Thank you to both of you!  I've been somewhat derailed by this quandary for a couple of days now. I am guessing that the point of the wider tweezers is to support the whole spring at the same time in an effort to prevent it going under tension... I have already discovered the Zen of a clutter free space, and trying to keep my work well away from the edge, however the most terrifying of the flights wasn't so short, I had my work in the middle of the table and nothing else around.  That particular launch was towards me.  I distinctly recall feeling the spring hit my left hand as it escaped.  I only found it by dumb luck, on the floor, between the legs of my chair.  I need to order a pack of replacements just in case.  I think I recall a thread discussing where to find them, and the differences between the clones and the authentic ETA ones, pointing out that they're not interchangeable (the clones being longer IIRC).  Now I just have to find that thread again.  What I haven't mastered is the zen of the search function here.  I'm sure I"ll get that down eventually. So this is similar to, but different from one of the posts I had found in my original searches (or maybe I'm just hallucinating, I can't find the post I thought I remember).  The bits about the corner filled in a gap in what I'd read before.  At least I have a more clear picture in my head about what needs to happen now.  Yes, I've learned about how touchy these springs are.  What I'm not sure I have a good grasp on is the understanding of what causes the spring to flex, other than to say "the slightest little touch"  I think I'm going to try a small bit of Rodico to position the spring next time.