Hello, I know nothing!

nfmonkey

Hey everyone, I'm extremely new to this world, but excited to learn a bit of stuff!

Recently bought a cheap starter kit off eBay; would love it if someone could tell me what some of this stuff is for (particularly the "bigger" stuff that's not a screwdriver?

Thanks heaps, look forward to speaking with you.=)
Nick.

IMG_20170105_234254702.jpg

Hi Nick,

welcome to the forum, you'll learn loads if you hang around here !

a quick run through the big tools....

black plastic one with wing nut -  movement holder

blue one above - for pushing link pins out of steel watch bracelets

yellow one - for removing snap on watch backs

large metal one opposite - jaxa type tool for removing screw on watch backs ( used with bits in the small plastic box )

grey segmented one above - for holding straps while removing pins, etc, and looks like silicon grease in the plastic bag for caseback seals etc.

good luck   :)

'I know nothing'

I have a problem with this statement... you do know something, that you know  that you know nothing..! Am I making sense?

Anyway that is sooo much better that someone who (thinks that he) knows everything.

Welcome to this support group for for those who share a common madness!

Anil

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi Harold!

Watchmaking is the best hobby in the world!  This forum is the friendliest and most helpful in the watchmaking world.  Don't be misled, though... The rabbit hole is deep and sometimes mysterious.  There have been times when I've  attempted a task (replacing a tiny roller jewel, for instance) and said to myself, "This is not humanly possible..."  and then accomplished it!  So the greatest tools you will ever possess in this hobby/trade are patience and persistence. Welcome to the forum!  

Shirley

Edited by sperki77
fix grammar issue (is to are)

16 hours ago, sperki77 said:

Hi Harold!

Watchmaking is the best hobby in the world!  This forum is the friendliest and most helpful in the watchmaking world.  Don't be misled, though... The rabbit hole is deep and sometimes mysterious.  There have been times when I've  attempted a task (replacing a tiny roller jewel, for instance) and said to myself, "This is not humanly possible..."  and then accomplished it!  So the greatest tools you will ever possess in this hobby/trade are patience and persistence. Welcome to the forum!  

Shirley

Wow! You replaced an impulse jewel!? I'm impressed!