seiko 5t52b movement not working

Starting with a chronometer is like fixing three watches at once, mechanical or quartz.

I would strongly recommend a quartz tester if you want to do anything but change a battery. The one I use will detect the pulse in the coil and test for crystal output. It will also spin up the movement which will offer free up the gear train. This does use a magnet to do this though...

Neil

I know this watch is over my head at this point. And I really do not feel like investing in the tools necessary to work on this. I prefer mechanical watches. I was just curious what a quartz would look like on the inside. Earlier suggestions were to find a replacement movement and not bother repairing a quartz. With that in mind I figured it couldn't hurt to see what made this movement tick. I already wrote this movement off Just want to be able to tear it down and reassemble it. I figure It will serve as practice for when I attempt a mechanical Chrono.

I really wouldn't waste your time on that quartz movement. Look for a donor. As for your pocket watch. That's a very nice movement that is a tragic if damaged. Full plate movements are not the best to start on, look more at 3 quarter plate movements with pallet forks. Your Elgin has an English lever and can be a bit tricky fitting the plate back over it. Requires a type of sideways swing over it.
"Side Winder?" What you have is a hunter movement that somebody has put in an open face case and is almost certainly not original to the movement. Look for a nice hunter case to put the movement in. It will be a very nice watch indeed.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, digginstony said:

I really wouldn't waste your time on that quartz movement. Look for a donor. As for your pocket watch. That's a very nice movement that is a tragic if damaged. Full plate movements are not the best to start on, look more at 3 quarter plate movements with pallet forks. Your Elgin has an English lever and can be a bit tricky fitting the plate back over it. Requires a type of sideways swing over it.
"Side Winder?" What you have is a hunter movement that somebody has put in an open face case and is almost certainly not original to the movement. Look for a nice hunter case to put the movement in. It will be a very nice watch indeed.

I don't think tinkering with it is a waste of time. I get more experience working with small parts and I have nothing to lose.

The pocket watch is old news ..I can tear down and rebuild full plate and 3 quarter plate pocket watches pretty easily. That watch runs pretty good. I'll try and locate a hunter case for it.   

I have started working on wrist watches. I already find Seiko 7s26c movement pretty easy. I am looking to step it up another notch. Any suggestions on something a little more challenging? I don't think I am quite ready for Chronos yet. 

I don't think tinkering with it is a waste of time. I get more experience working with small parts and I have nothing to lose.
The pocket watch is old news ..I can tear down and rebuild full plate and 3 quarter plate pocket watches pretty easily. That watch runs pretty good. I'll try and locate a hunter case for it.   
I have started working on wrist watches. I already find Seiko 7s26c movement pretty easy. I am looking to step it up another notch. Any suggestions on something a little more challenging? I don't think I am quite ready for Chronos yet. 

No suggestions really but sure some of the guys could think of something. You seem to be a natural. It has taken me years to have any sort of confidence with many broken parts on the way. I've just finished a service on a 7s26 and managed to loose the intermediate day corrector wheel ! Cost me a fiver from Cousins UK for that little bungle.
You could start looking at the Eta's such as the 2824 ? Or some Chinese clones.

6 hours ago, digginstony said:

No suggestions really but sure some of the guys could think of something. You seem to be a natural. It has taken me years to have any sort of confidence with many broken parts on the way. I've just finished a service on a 7s26 and managed to loose the intermediate day corrector wheel ! Cost me a fiver from Cousins UK for that little bungle.

I use to be a jeweler in another life, so I have some experience working with small tedious parts.

3 hours ago, clockboy said:

Best of luck with that one I personally don,t touch quartz unless there is no alternative. However a quartz is good practice for handling small delicate parts. I suggest you take photo,s as you strip the movement for reference.  I have also attached it,s PDF.

Seiko 5T52B - Technical Guide.pdf

Thanks,  I already have the Tech guide. A little hard to see exactly where everything goes. I already take pictures but in is annoying, stopping to document every move. I have to setup a video cam and record what I am doing. 

At the stage I am now, I consider myself a rebuild parrot, which is fine. If I see it done I can emulate it. It helps build my confidence. I am glad I took everyone's advice and started on pocket watches. If I started on a wrist watch especially a chronograph I would have probably throw in out the window.

While I found it relatively easy to disassemble/assemble the projects I have worked on so far I understand there are many more aspects of watch repair I have yet to conquer.

I have no interest and do not intend to buy the necessary equipment to work on Quartz watches at this time. 

7 hours ago, digginstony said:

I don't know about being a "natural" but I am patient and persistent. I have also been lucky to this point. I lost only 1 screw, Broke a balance pivot in a PW and the Day Date corrector Wheel on a 7s26c. Don't get me wrong a few other pieces went flying, but I have a great recovery rate, spent some time on the floor. 

I use to be a jeweler in another life, so I have some experience working with small tedious parts.

Interesting. There seems to be a close relationship between Jewellers, watchmakers and gunmakers.
A Swiss guy called Durs Egg started life as a watchmaker, moved to England and became one of our most successful gunmakers of his time (Flintlock guns)
If your up for the challenge Mark has done excellent 8 part videos on a Breitling. If you're looking for complication, this is a good way to go. Having a step by step guide from an Expert.
Also I do believe there are "Naturals" in all walks of life [emoji5]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk