Hi From NY

adiorio110

Hi all

First HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My name is Anthony. I am known as the fix it guy by my friends and family. At the risk of sounding immodest I can do a decent job on electrical, plumbing, appliance repairs and carpentry. I usually get interested in something as a matter of necessity, and it is also just in my nature to tinker. Thank God for Youtube.    

I have a few decent watches that no longer keep good time. So, I guess I'll try my hand at watch repair. While I know absolutely nothing and I know this is a highly-specialized profession which would take many years to be proficient, I’ll take a shot. What the hell, all I have is time. I do have a little of a head start, I use to be a do jewelry repair many years ago, I still have some tools and machinery (i.e.: Ultrasonic machine, steamer, mini lathe, case openers, etc.) I might be able to utilize.   

I purchased John Tope's, from Tick Tock Productions, watch course (still waiting for it to arrive). In the meantime, I had some Baltic birch hanging around so I put together a rudimentary table top bench. When I get deeper into watch repair, maybe I’ll build a better one.

I already purchase a few tools but I am refraining from purchasing anything else until I get the watch course.

I am sure between Mr. Tope’s course and the anticipated help for this forum I may learn a little something.

I enclosed a few pictures of my setup. It measures 33 X 17.5 x 7.25 

Regards

Anthony

IMG_1958.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

• Like 1

Anthony,

First, let me welcome you to the forum! Second, let me say I am glad someone else besides me is on this site from New York! I love these fellas from overseas though, they have lots of knowledge, fantastic advice and experience, and have an quirky sense of humor at times. 

Ok lets get to your set-up....WHAT THE:startle:....!?!?

My work space looks like an old wooden fish-tank stand someone threw out on a Brooklyn street corner.  I've been doing this for a couple of years as a hobby and have gotten good enough where I've been able to do nearly any type of mechanical watch including the venerable and feared Valjoux 7750 chronograph, but I have nothing as nice as what you have.

Alright, I'll be honest...what I work on IS an old fish-tank stand, but I get plenty done. Your workspace looks absolutely beautiful and the monitor enables you to have instant access to Marks videos, which is how I learned. One thing I might suggest you get immediately is two good sources of light for your workspace.

Welcome again and look forward to you posts.

Regards from Brooklyn,

JC

Thanks for the welcome Clockboy

JC Thanks for the props. I'm from Brooklyn also, I live in Staten Island now but planning to move to NJ soon.

I hope to be able to reach your level of success. Funny you mentioned lighting it is one of my concerns I was about to purchase a desk lamp from amazon but didn't know if it would be powerful enough. I put off the purchase until the watch course comes, I believe it gives some suggestions.

Here's one I seen mention on this site

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Table-Mount-Desk-Lamp/dp/B00M0X1Y6Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1483455310&sr=1-5&keywords=SMD+LED+Table+Mount+Desk+Lamp 

Here are some other options

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GH44C56?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L6PWMN6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=16BLQ4Z4HEAFL&coliid=I2J4T881CDTNSJ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CHZLW5M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=16BLQ4Z4HEAFL&coliid=I1I9L4LAAX99AP

I think I like the first and last ones best. I may go with the recommended one and play it safe.     

Hello,

There are some good choices here for sure. I like the third link of price is not an issue and the second choice if it is. The ideal light is in the spectrum of 6000 to 6500K and you'll need a high number of lumen output, so number 3 would be ideal for overall lighting.

I would still recommend a single-point light source such as a small flexible goose-necked LED for detail work to reduce eye strain....and just for information: LED lighting inhibits melatonin levels and can disrupt the natural sleep cycle.

JC

Hi

The lamp companys seem very evasive when it comes to specs. Hard to compare apples to apples. I also like the third one it has 1500 lux at 30 cm about 11" The specs on the first one as reported by a forum member has 20,800 Lux Link to thread below. 

They are about the same cost wise. Something just don't make sense to me.

Regards 

Anthony

Welcome, Anthony.  I'm fairly new here, too.  I'm in Texas.  I love your little setup.  Did you build the desk yourself?  If so, nice work!  I have a watchmaker's bench that my uncle built over 50 years ago and my father used it every day for over 50 years.  It isn't much to look at, but it's still solid after all these years.  It has seen the repair of thousands of watches in those 50 or so years (by my father, not by me). 

Anyway, if you want to learn watch repair, this forum will be invaluable to you.  Every single person I've seen on here has been both friendly and helpful.  Again, welcome to the forum!

Shirley

Hi Shirley

Thank you, and yes I did build it myself. It was just a quick project coping the mini desk I have seen on the internet. I am in the process of getting ready to sell my house and If I continue getting deeper into watch repair I will build a real work bench in my new home. It will not quite have the pedigree of yours but I will know more of what I need and how to design it. 

I really enjoy the little I learned so far, the one down side of this hobby is the tools and supplies you need never seems to end. Its also a little frustrating to me because I have to order online and wait for supplies to come. I have no local supply houses, I could go into Manhattan and purchase supplies but traveling to the city is a nightmare.  You are right so far the members here have been more than friendly and polite. 

Good Luck to you

Anthony