Bad start to 2017

clockboy

It,s was my fault I left my workshop ajar last night and found our cat asleep on the window seal this morning. Had a quick check around the bench and nothing was broken and looked ok then !!!!!! I stepped on this wheel. It is from a very cheap (wife paid £5 for it at a fair) Enfield Smiths westminster chiming clock. I have posted a couple of pics of me trying to straighten the pinion and it is almost straight but I can not see how I can rivet the wheel back on as my punches are not deep enough to fit over the length of the pinion. IMG_1046.jpgIMG_1047.jpgIMG_1053.jpg

Good idea Mark yes I have one so I will give it a try. Getting the shaft absolutely straight will be the next challenge

What fun !!!!!

Lol

Good luck - I have every confidence you will repair. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's another idea, create a larger seat for the wheel.

Make a brass collar that you secure onto the arbor that has a wheel seat centered over the old position. The seat itself will be larger in diameter than the old seat to give it strength. Secure it with locktite. Chuck up the arbor and turn a new seat and a decorative back end.

Once its made  mount the wheel in a pot chuck to open the center hole to fit the new seat diameter. Stake it on normally.

Al Takatsch

2 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Can't you drill the stake out. Its a very common movement as you know so there shouldn't be a problem.

I did think of that but I presume the stake will be hardened steel. I have found some Clock punches in various supply houses wondering if the holes are deeper to allow for the pivots.

1 hour ago, altaka said:

Here's another idea, create a larger seat for the wheel.

Make a brass collar that you secure onto the arbor that has a wheel seat centered over the old position. The seat itself will be larger in diameter than the old seat to give it strength. Secure it with locktite. Chuck up the arbor and turn a new seat and a decorative back end.

Once its made  mount the wheel in a pot chuck to open the center hole to fit the new seat diameter. Stake it on normally.

Al Takatsch

Thats also a good idea but will I have the issue when staking the new seat i.e. the pinion is to long for my punch.

Well I suppose I could but the stake has to be domed & hardened. This is possible but a big job for a clock that cost £5. However if I can get the pivot absolutely straight I will try to solder the wheel onto the pivot.
Family commitments for the next few days but will keep you guys informed of the progress (if any!!) 

7 hours ago, altaka said:

I have a lot of Rebarb steel used to strengthen concrete. 1/2 inch would do it and its soft. It will turn quick in a lathe.

Do not need to harden it because you are staking brass to brass

Al T.

Thanks family commitments stopping progress for a couple of days. Lots of options suggested with this but the priority is to get the pinion absolutely straight because other issues will surface if not.

12 hours ago, altaka said:

I have a lot of Rebarb steel used to strengthen concrete. 1/2 inch would do it and its soft. It will turn quick in a lathe.

Do not need to harden it because you are staking brass to brass

Al T.

Don't you mean rebar steel.

Just an update with this. I just could not get the pinion perfectly straight & also I found the wheel was also out of true. I did a an experiment for future reference & soldered the wheel to the pinion which works a treat so a useful exercise.

However I have now purchased a donor movement for the replacement wheel. 

What fun!!!!