Now you see it, now you don't....

Aric

I attempted to put an old calendar wheel in a new Ronda 705 movement today. The new calendar wheel does not line up correctly in the window of the Swiss Army Delta watch that it is to be a part of. A spring fell off of part of it in the process and I tried to get it back in there. At one point, I picked it up in my tweezers just to try to flip it over so I could grip it from the other side. I was looking right at it when it disappeared into thin air. Poof! Magic!

Does anyone have any pointers on ways to avoid these tiny parts from exiting stage left when you least expect it? The pros must have some way to avoid it...or maybe a trick for how to find it again. Or do they just stock a couple of tons of extra parts?

My set up that I have been using for a while is that I wear a apron & I attach the end parts of it to my work bench with quick set clamps so any fliers just land in the lap of the apron. The other tip is to have your tweezers dressed correctly this is a must. 

• Like 1

A good set of tweezers is a must? And proper dressed with a little dull finish from the sandpaper. Some rodico to hold it is an other tips. 

Even the best watchmaker is on the floor with his behind sticking up from time to time :) 

Will go and dress my tweezers now :) 

Edited by rogart63

The plastic bag is a great idea but can see it being awkward but never tried it. I've just lost a calendar spring on an old Seiko 7009A. Spare parts is always a good idea. But to to help, I've found the best method of handling springs is to use 2 tweezers. 1 to hold down or press down on the non springy part whilst manipulating the spring in position.
The annoying thing that happened to me was I had the calendar wheel and spring in place. Went to put the day wheel on and somehow the hour wheel has dislodged.
Lifted the day wheel to reposition the hour wheel and must of caught the calender wheel or spring. Last seen hitting my right shoulder. Lots of hands and knees with brush but lost for ever.
Wouldn't of happened with a Seiko 7s26. Large flat spring design and much easier to find.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk