Fast/Slow 6497-1

Folkvisor

Hi

I am having a problem slowing down my 6497-1.

I've moved the fine regulator - both ways - there's no +/- on it so I was experimenting. I am wondering if I should move the hairspring stud a little to loosen the mainspring. It goes 5 minutes fast no matter what I do. It seems to keep time quite well for the first 12 hours so I guess it can just be set every morning.

Other than that it works well.

Any ideas? 

Dave

You don't want to move the stud as this affects the beat rate. 

Are you only moving a micro adjuster as opposed to moving the regulator pins directly? You have to set the micro adjuster (if fitted) to the central position, then set rough adjustment by moving the regulator (index pins) directly first.

Edited by rodabod

Moving the regulator isn't always the answer to regulating the watch there's unfortunately more to it sometimes. For instance what kind of a regulation system does this watch have? Then was there a sudden change in timekeeping which might indicate something other than a regulation problem? Then if the watch keeps time for the first 12 hours if I'm interpreting what you're seeing correctly then goes fast it's probably not a regulation problem.

So I've attached some images there should be two separate types of regulation systems for these watches. The older conventional with standard regulator pins and the newer etachron system. Then the components functions are similar but moving them is different. So in one image below is a breakdown of the separate components. Both systems would have similar parts it's just the etachron makes things easier and at the same time makes things more complicated.

This is where having a timing machine/timegrapher Will make things a lot easier and avoid complications.

So the regulator itself is broken in the two pieces. 28-3 which basically is a very co**BLEEP** adjustment and 28-4 Which is the fine adjustment. With the older system that you could move either the fine or course adjustment just fine but with the etachron system it's a little more complicated.

So once we figure out whether it is a conventional regulation system or the etachron system we can go on with regulation. Then a picture of the watch preferably centered over the balance wheel would be helpful seeing where the components are seeing if there's a problem with the hairspring would be helpful.

6497-1a etachrom.JPG

6497-1b etachron.JPG

Hi Guys

Happy New Year!

Anyway, I was moving the regulator pins the wrong way. When I asked my watchmaker friend he said, "So, you moved the regulator pins closer to the stud and it went faster and then you moved them even closer and it went even faster?! What, if anything, does that tell you?!" 

He just looked disgusted when I said, "I moved it the wrong way?"

I'm glad I don't work for him.

All the best in 2017.

Dave