Watch of Today

mk3

29 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

Ah well, I'm pretty sure you get there. So getting to the problem, is it the screws that are stripped or the threading in the plate?

J

threads in the plate. im gonna open a thread to discuss that. save your comments til then. this one might go on a while.

• Like 1

Wearing a Citizen Ana-digi with 8920 movement which I got a few weeks back.

All functions work well but the water-resistance is kaput. I'm enjoying while I can but this watch will not last forever as the plastics and electronics will degrade even if kept in an air-tight/light-proof container and buried in a coal mine.

Dial is one of those which appear blue from some angles and black from another. The pushers still have its original colour coding ..

P_20161228_083659.jpgP_20161228_083715_1.jpg

P_20161228_083742.jpg

Happy New Year all!

Anilv

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, anilv said:

All functions work well but the water-resistance is kaput. I'm enjoying while I can but this watch will not last forever as the plastics and electronics will degrade even if kept in an air-tight/light-proof container and buried in a coal mine.

It's one of the unfortunate problems of collecting electric watches they're going to disintegrate unfortunately. The plastics used in some electronic watches were not meant to last forever. Little while back I was servicing a quartz watch that the main plate was reinforced with a lot of plastic. Basically the main plate was in the plastic. The plastic was starting to disintegrate I could see all sorts of cracks and fractures in the plastic the most part it was not a problem except around the battery that needed to be glued back together again.

• Like 1

And this one will probably outlive me.. The only thing which would degrade is the movement ring (i believe this has the white plastic spacer), o-rings and perhaps the finish on the dial/hands/chapter ring... all reasonably doable. The mechanical bits will be good with periodic servicing as it is no longer in daily use.  P_20170104_083928.jpg

I love this caseback with the galleon in full sail!P_20170104_084153.jpg

Anilv

Its been raining a bit over the last few days so that's why I've been brushing the dust off all my water-proof watches.

I ride a bike to work, the only time I drive if its raining in the morning. Rain on the way home doesn't bother me much but the watch needs to be reasonably water-proof. The Tissot I posted yesterday was fine and survived the slight rain on the way back without fogging up but I wouldn't take it diving as the crown is still an original T crown with the 40 year old o-ring!.

For today I'm wearing something a little more modern.. A Seiko 7S36-01E0, also known as the Atlas. From what I know these were available around 2005 (my watch is Oct '05). There is also a black-dialled version which is actually much nicer than the one I have. Problem with this is that chrome/lume hands on a white dial does not make for easy telling of the time. The hand now installed are after-market from a different model and has a black base.. original were all chrome.

The crown at 9 turns the internal compass bezel.. handy if I'm lost in the woods but doesn't work around the equator. Also the compass crown turns way too easily so if you're using this to get out of the woods you need to make sure you don't accidentally move the compass bezel. The fact it turns easily makes me doubt that it will survive a 200m dunking but I have used this at the beach and it was fine.

Lume is still good. I understand that the problem with Seiko Lume is that it starts to go 'off' once the case is opened and the dial / hands are exposed to air. When swapping out the hand I re-cased it and left it in an air-tight container with a bag of desiccant for about 24 hours with the crown unscrewed. Hopefully it would have removed some moisture. I was in two minds about this as I was concerned that the dessiccant may also dry up the oils. Ah well, I can always re-service the watch but good dials will be hard to come by!

Anyway, here are some pics.

P_20170105_085646.jpg

Original lume on the dial, after-maket hands. Pic after charging the lume with the handphone LED for about 5secs.

P_20161227_194604.jpg

Anilv

• Like 1

Wow , nice lume . 

I put my watches under a light bulb for a few minutes after opening them . I leave the caseback on , but very loose while doing this , and tighten after I remove them from under the bulb .  I was watching a Breitling Youtube video where they put the watches in a warming oven for a few minutes before tightening the caseback to remove moisture .

• Like 2

On January 1, 2017 at 5:35 PM, ricardopalamino said:

Well Thanks to my buddy ramrod for noticing this watch could use a new crystal ,....so the checks in the mail for a new one .

I wouldn't want to start the New Year looking scruffy ...

Looking quite spiffy with a new crystal . I had never noticed the bend in the red GMT hand before . Keen...

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, ricardopalamino said:

Looking quite spiffy with a new crystal . I had never noticed the bend in the red GMT hand before . Keen...

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

louis!! looking great on the world time. that is like a new watch. see? now i helped you discover something new about your watch.

looks like seiko put that bend in there to clear the indices.  very cool.

This beater got wrist time today. I love this thing. It was one of my first serious purchases when I settled down from buying anything that ticked. It's got a horse hide strap that I made. This thing is awesome.IMG_20170111_215151536.thumb.jpg.2d17442

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, ramrod said:

This beater got wrist time today. I love this thing. It was one of my first serious purchases when I settled down from buying anything that ticked. It's got a horse hide strap that I made. This thing is awesome.IMG_20170111_215151536.jpg

That's a nice looking bugger . The strap suit's it . I like the date at 6 .

What's the numbers on the back ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Wearing a Vulcain automatic today. When I got this watch a few years back it had a bad dial, greenish stuff all over etc. I cleaned it up but unfortunately only the logo was left. I then spotted a movement with better dial on the 'bay and this is the result.

The original did not have a model on the dial whereas this one has 'Meteor II' on it, well both used an ETA 2452 so it's ok I suppose!

The replacement dial was not a direct fit and I had to reduce the thickness of the dial spacer a bit. Also I believe the case for the donor watch would have been a gold-toned one based on the hour markers and the remaining hour hand, the dial has a slight champagne tint as well.

It is currently on an expanding Speidel bracelet, while I'm not really a fan of these breacelets, I like the way this particular one matches the radii of the case.

P_20170123_082351.jpg

Also stretch bands make it easy to get a pic of the caseback!

P_20170123_082412.jpg

Have a good week ahead!

Anil

I'm wearing this beast. One of my larger watches, but I love this thing. It's from 1973, I believe. I bought it in a watch lot with a bunch of turds. This was the best one and the reason I bought the lot. It has issues because I've dropped it twice. I also need to paint the bezel the proper blue that it had when it left the factory.

I'm wearing this beast. One of my larger watches, but I love this thing. It's from 1973, I believe. I bought it in a watch lot with a bunch of turds. This was the best one and the reason I bought the lot. It has issues because I've dropped it twice. I also need to paint the bezel the proper blue that it had when it left the factory.

IMG_20170122_194726551.thumb.jpg.9108133

• Like 2