Watch of Today

mk3

I don't suppose you have a picture of the movement?

IMG_20170101_235905329.thumb.jpg.4065ee9IMG_20170101_235828397.thumb.jpg.fb13789

Same exact movement as in both walthams.
The reason for the tweezers is because it is showing the location of BOTH stripped screws. I dabbed both with loctite just to have that plate hold its position. Otherwise, the hacking lever, which is spring loaded, would overpower that plate causing the lever to creep toward the balance wheel. Of course, making it stop.
I want to tap out that plate. It is the same as on the walthams and I could just as easily change it out. But this plate has the movement specific info on it.
I'm in a fix because I don't have anything to tap that small.

Louis....Yes, sporting a new avatar. Compliments of Titus.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, ramrod said:

swissonic Beta. I have to do some more research on this, but my understanding is that the beta model operates at 720 Hz

The reason I asked I was fascinated with 720 Hz. So links below talks about these watches which are not running at 720 hz. But it is running faster than the standard 18,000 BPH watch. The movement number should be under the edge of the balance wheel is going to be either ESA 9150 21,600 bph  or  ESA 9154  28,800 bph. Then I'll be curious if you find out why it says Beta on the dial?

http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers/esa/

http://doensen.home.xs4all.nl/h1.html

That second link is fascinating! I gotta save that one.
This is my first exposure to the beta series. I've never heard of them before This Titus.
I'll take a look at the movement tomorrow. I can say this about it: the second moved more smoothly than any of my other swissonics but it is NOT in the range of Accutron smooth. The ticks are barely perceptible. I should put up a video.
So, I can assume that the dial says beta because it is a beta.

Hello ramrod, it seems you've hijacked my omega post! That's OK....

I have several of the ESA movements, one of which does indeed run with daily variations of between 4 and 6 seconds a day, and yes it is a smooth running and robust movement.

The one you have looks like a 9154, and I can see no perceptible difference between it and other ESA 9154, so maybe beta designation is just a marketing method.

J

Lol....After my last post, I said I'd better apologize to noirrac1j for the hijack. It is getting to be quite a book.
So, I'm confused. what bph were the beta movements compared to the standard movement?
How is this Titus movement different than a beta , then?
Help!

I have no experience with Titus watch equiped with thses hybrid movements, but the ones I do have (Hamilton, Jules Jurgensen, Swisssonics, Lord Elgin) all run at 28,800 bph. I have overhauled several 9154's and have not come across a beta movement, so I don't know if there is any real difference at all. What does it look like on a timegrapher?

J

For some reason I associate the word beta with prototype but that isn't necessarily the case. For instance Link below beta 21 Is the actual name of the movement cased up by a variety of people.

http://doensen.home.xs4all.nl/j2.html

Then the link you like goes to the homepage found that the first link below. The text you're seeing is the text out of a book. A rather interesting book on electric watches. So the text you're seeing would go with a whole bunch of photographs of all of the various movements. Then looks like it be cheaper to buy it from Pieter if he still has a copy then from Amazon the second link. Unfortunately notice in the review of the book claims that it's out of print I'm not sure that that's technically correct because if you look there were only 6000 copies printed. Basically it was a private printing or limited printing perhaps.

http://doensen.home.xs4all.nl/index.html

https://www.amazon.com/Watch-Modern-Wristwatch-Design-1950-1983/dp/905349135X

Guys, I've merged the Omega and Titus post to the correct "Watch of Today" section.  

The Titus part of the thread has developed into information that should be posted in the "Watch Repair, Help and Advice" section.  Unfortunately I can't shift the individual posts, so if help and advice is required in future, please start a new thread relating in the correct section.  I am not trying to be heavy handed here, it's just to help folk who are looking for information and won't think of looking in "Watch of Today" for it.

Thanks, Geo! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

For some reason I associate the word beta with prototype but that isn't necessarily the case. For instance Link below beta 21 Is the actual name of the movement cased up by a variety of people.

http://doensen.home.xs4all.nl/j2.html

Then the link you like goes to the homepage found that the first link below. The text you're seeing is the text out of a book. A rather interesting book on electric watches. So the text you're seeing would go with a whole bunch of photographs of all of the various movements. Then looks like it be cheaper to buy it from Pieter if he still has a copy then from Amazon the second link. Unfortunately notice in the review of the book claims that it's out of print I'm not sure that that's technically correct because if you look there were only 6000 copies printed. Basically it was a private printing or limited printing perhaps.

http://doensen.home.xs4all.nl/index.html

https://www.amazon.com/Watch-Modern-Wristwatch-Design-1950-1983/dp/905349135X

John that's a great link with good info. The watches discussed in it are the very early quartz models without balance wheels, and yes, Beta designation is still widely used to indicate prototype models. The ESA 9154  is a hybrid model that incorporates mechanical with electric transistors, but doesn't include quartz components.

JC