Poljot 3133 chronograph

GeorgeClarkson

Considerations on this new arrival, based on what I have learnt of Poljot's manufacturing history:

The model stamp on the chronograph bridge is SU 3133, and the "U" has the converging tips and the font used d is a bit bolder than earlier versions. This is the third iteration of this stamp, and was adopted starting from 1993/1995. This "civil" model or better the "classic model" was introduced in 1996 BTW.

Screenshot_20170131-072938.png

Edited by GeorgeClarkson

A close up of the entire movement shows how clean this is. It has been services in the past, since there are traces of screwdriver use on some screws, in particular the screw holding the hammer.

All other parts are consistent to each other, which makes me think this is an original watch with no replaced parts, er even worse a franken.

A clean of the case, which was very hard to open BTW, and replacement of the case back o-ring since it has become too hard and brittle, and this small puppy is ready to go!

Screenshot_20170131-073522.png

23 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win. This 3133 seems to be the latter :thumbsu:

Indeed it is a very nice example. The case has some issues, like the plating on the pushers that is slowly saying byebye, as the crown, but that adds to its history, doesn't it? The case back was incredibly hard to remove, and the gasket was so hard it probably cemented it. Replacing the case back was as hard though: I noticed the border has already suffered a bit, so I will fix it later on.

The only thing I do not like about it, it's the writing "chronograph" on the front of the case... As if it was not clear enough... Doh!

Good on you George :thumbsu:

Yesterday my Poljot 3133 Sport arrived and I can share your comment. Currently I'm warming up my Watch-o-scope to get an idea about Amplitude and beat error......... Seems there are two happy 3133 owners :jig:

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

The Watch-O-Scope noise levels were "in-between", so the measurements aren't 100% reliable.

21600 BPH, and I took a lifting angel of 52 (not sure if that's correct for the 3133 ?)

DD -33s/d Amp 327 BE 0.3ms

DU -25s/d Amp 300 BE 1.2ms

CU -39s/d Amp 224 BE 0.4ms

CD -65s/d Amp 223 BE 0.4ms

Can't say there is something drastically wrong with this 25 years old movement. If I can assemble the courage, I may give it a service and compare the numbers ......

Edit; I just Googled and the lifting angle of the Valjoux 7734 is 48 degrees.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2

@clockboy Thank you for the information clockboy ;)

Would the Russian have changed the geometry of the pallet-post? I know that they did some modifications to the Valjoux 7734.

These were the two sources I consulted for the Valjoux 7734;

http://hiro.alliancehorlogere.com/en/Under_the_Loupe/Valjoux_7734.html

http://roamer-watches.info/lift-angles.shtml

The 51 degrees is fine with me too. Especially taking the inaccuracy (due to noise) of the Watch-O-Scope in consideration ;)

Friday I decided to start servicing my new Poljot 3133. The Landeron 48 is stripped and I'm still waiting for the new main-spring to arrive ...... it all has to do with time :)

My intentions were to take pictures and make a Poljot 3133 walk-through, but right in the beginning I had already a set-back. I've seen it happen on a Poljot 3133 walk-through YouTube-video, so I was well aware and took extreme care, but mine miniature minute-recording-hand stripped off its pipe-bushing as well! Later in the weekend I've been asking around and these little 3133 hands seem to be notorious for this. This setback and because this Poljot 3133 being my first chronograph, if succeeded, I decided to concentrate purely on the watch.

I managed to get the pipe-bushing off and proceeded with the stripping. In the process of doing so, not paying enough attention to the little pivots sticking through the calendar works,  I bend one. Luckily, I could bend it back .....a narrow escape and a huge lesson learned !! All the rest went fine. The balance cap-stone springs were new to me, but didn't cause any problems. It took me quite a few attempts to get the operating lever back in its place, but after reading the instructions a few times, I finally got what was said & meant, and it fell in its place.

The watch is back together. I managed to "repair" the little hand, but I must have deformed the little pipe-bushing slightly with the pipe-vice. It's back on, but barely. I ordered some 0.2mm drills to ream the bushing in order to get a proper fit.

Last night the watch has been on my wrist and instead of -20 s/d before the service, it runs in the plus now. How much, I let the pictures do the talking. Please observe that I'm using a Watch-O-Scope, which has a known reputation of picking up (lots of) noise. On top of that, my desk is close to the kitchen in which a freezer and fridge are standing. As usual, both kicked in while I did the measurements CU and DU ........

Crown Down58984a11a3b0f_Poljot3133CD.PNG.0dc8b426c4a17e4fd29a48227c22c695.PNG

Crown up;

58984a130cf25_Poljot3133CU.PNG.a7ae2310a1806b123f0da797fdf7ac28.PNG

Dial down;

58984a1457ba8_Poljot3133DD.PNG.d747ac5e0dbd0bf666a1f9d124fbef06.PNG

Dial up;

58984a15c8bd3_Poljot3133DU.PNG.0be410384e35857aab669fc34c758ba5.PNG

This for a 25 year old movement ......... I'll adjust the daily rate and leave it as it is. The chronograph functions work as they should. I like to sort out the minute-recording-hand, but the 0.2mm drills are ordered from our Chinese friends, so that's going to be 1 to 1-1/2 month before they arrive ......

Sorry, no pictures this time, but I hope to make it up with the Landeron 48..........

My first chronograph is done ! :jig:

• Like 1

@Watchtime Thank you .... ;)

It's for sure a level up. One has to be far more aware & mindful of all the extra little pivots sticking up. They are, in the 3133 case, only 0.2mm thick and it doesn't take a lot to bend them, or worse ......

Obviously, it was a well working chronograph to start off with. I made sure not to touch any of the eccentric screws. The chronograph-fun really starts when a chronograph has problems. When the eccentric screws are off and everything has to be re-adjusted. I like to get some more chronograph experience and I'm sure that the Landeron has something to tell me too :) It all adds up and one day a more challenging chronograph will come my way....

That's what makes me tick. Not the end result as such, but the tinkering. learning and problem solving. Once done, it's another watch ........ perhaps ends up by the rest, in the drawer. It's the hunt, not so much the catch. It's the Endeavor ... B) Having said that, this 3133 chronograph is a bit more special, it's my first .........:jig:

Edited by Endeavor

2 hours ago, Endeavor said:

@Watchtime Thank you .... ;)

It's for sure a level up. One has to be far more aware & mindful of all the extra little pivots sticking up. They are, in the 3133 case, only 0.2mm thick and it doesn't take a lot to bend them, or worse ......

Obviously, it was a well working chronograph to start off with. I made sure not to touch any of the eccentric screws. The chronograph-fun really starts when a chronograph has problems. When the eccentric screws are off and everything has to be re-adjusted. I like to get some more chronograph experience and I'm sure that the Landeron has something to tell me too :) It all adds up and one day a more challenging chronograph will come my way....

That's what makes me tick. Not the end result as such, but the tinkering. learning and problem solving. Once done, it's another watch ........ perhaps ends up by the rest, in the drawer. It's the hunt, not so much the catch. It's the Endeavor ... B) Having said that, this 3133 chronograph is a bit more special, it's my first .........:jig:

I am so happy you managed to bring it to a positive end. Being the first chronograph it is a special event. And the Landeron will be another first, since even if similar in structure to the Poljot 3133, it is another completely different "beast". Easier in some parts, harder on others. But amazingly interesting as is the Poljot. You will love that one also.

@dadistic Because I had crown-down while adjusting the daily rate, the W.O.S picture happens to be CD. For fun, I just did the other three. I switched off the freezer and fridge, which made my wife a bit nervous, hence the shorter measurements. As usual, the W.O.S. picks up the odd interference dot, so I see the measurement more as a good indication, not as absolute values ........

Dial Up;

DU-2.PNG.6dff89379eef5c73b153b1a455043868.PNG

Crown Down;

CD-2.PNG.a564db48cede697b4e116d5a6a50d225.PNG

Crown Up;

CU-2.PNG.83fcdebc708fe2868a9cf133b6671609.PNG

For a 25 years old movement..........Of course Swiss origins, the Valjoux 7734, but improved by our friends in Russia.

I am a happy camper with the above results ....... and for a as new, in original state chronograph below €200.- .......:jig:

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...