Work benches / Desks

Tmuir

I hope in the new year to get myself a permanent work bench / desk.

Where I live getting an actual watchmakers work bench is just not an option so I'm left with making or re-purposing something else.

I'm not a carpenter so making a workbench from scratch is not going to happen, so I'm left with trying to make something else do.

One option is to put together a workbench using Ikea furniture as others have done with the difference I would buy a solid wood bench top and put roll guards on the side and back and route a lip on the front, or buy one of those height adjustable desks like this one.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/stilford-electric-height-adjustable-desk-1600mm-jbstiha16

Has anyone else tried to use a desk like this in particular how stable are they having only two legs rather than four like a normal desk?

Hi, an adjustable frame from Ikea is not expensive.

http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/S49084965/?cid=a1:ps|a2:nl|a3:shopping|a4:S49084965|a6:google|a7:ikeanl|id:S49084965|cc:915&gclid=CjwKEAiAs_PCBRD5nIun9cyu01kSJAA-WD-rPsS_Rj1-Uq9KZXWs2BF8CSgHW9eyCO6gow8VFNl4ARoCU37w_wcB

Here is also a link for the Bergeon workingstation, it has a drawing with the sizes. Maybe it can be of help.

http://www.watchtool.co.uk/bergeon-7870-dune-watchmakers-workstation-p-7723.html

Or this, built by watch enthusiast Arie Kabaalstra in the Lowlands. He uses a alu profile cut on the right size.

5eb1fdc02956ed13211934943dfb42c929e20a2b_1_666x500.jpeg

9bc09cc74f6274fbd22690236514e46581c9b818_1_643x499.png

HFOS Workbench.jpeg

Workbench.jpeg

Edited by Watchtime
  • Like 1

Thanks I didn't know that Ikea did a cheaper version of the adjustable desk, that is now on the top of my list.

For the price of the Bergeon desk I would expect the watches to fix themselves once I placed them on the desk. :D

• Like 2

Yeah, the Bergeon has a built-in watchmaker.....LOL.

This dutch guy made a project of it and posted photos every other few days. It seems pretty straight forward to make the frame with this aluminium profiles.
 Then again, with the Ikeatable, you are for 80% done in 1 go. For drawers, they have these for only 60 euro

http://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/catalog/products/10192824/#/70342284 put on a set of wheels and you're done.

I do like the project desk, but I am mindful of my spare time.

I would rather spend my spare time learning and improving my skills repairing watches and clocks than building a really good desk to work at. I am hoping towards the end of next year my skill level will of improved enough that I can make myself some 'pocket money' repairing clocks and servicing basic watches.

I did look at those IKEA drawers and was wondering on them or to try and find some drawers that are not as deep but have more of them, but drawers can come later the work desk is more important.

2 hours ago, Tmuir said:

I do like the project desk, but I am mindful of my spare time.

I would rather spend my spare time learning and improving my skills repairing watches and clocks than building a really good desk to work at. I am hoping towards the end of next year my skill level will of improved enough that I can make myself some 'pocket money' repairing clocks and servicing basic watches.

I did look at those IKEA drawers and was wondering on them or to try and find some drawers that are not as deep but have more of them, but drawers can come later the work desk is more important.

Hi Tmuir,

This is what I did, the table with white legs is from ikea my friend made me a simple raised platform as I found it was to low and starting to make my back ache.

WP_20161114_16_27_40_Pro.jpgWP_20161114_16_26_50_Pro.jpgWP_20161114_16_25_34_Pro.jpg

this is what it use to be like.

WP_20161101_21_28_39_Pro.jpgWP_20161101_21_28_16_Pro.jpg

if you need more info give me a shout......

Regards

Kaz

• Like 1

I've posted elsewhere about my own adjustable desk/table, which I am very happy with. I think mine probably cost more than the one you listed, but it has a greater range, lifting capacity and a (heavy) wooden desktop. I didn't consider the IKEA hand crank type as I have my microscope clamped on the surface, and I think you are supposed to clear the surface when changing height.

The top is completely stable, apart from when at the top extreme height which I do not use.

Stephen

Yes I would prefer an electric lifter rather than a hand crank, I'll see how my bank balance is looking towards the end of January as that will make the derision as to whether I get the cheap Ikea one, or a better quality one.

I'm in the process of a remodelling of my workspace, bench and storage, so will post some photos when my drawings, measurements, and ideas are realised, I have the lumber already, and two full size office desks which will be the structure to which I will be building the wooden framework on to raise the working height of my main work area.

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/01/2017 at 6:26 AM, SSTEEL said:

And its almost done, the ALVIN covering needs to relax a little while longer, then I can adhere it down with double sided tissue tape, and then add mat edging, and finally unpack my tools, and resume work.

32450683322_b674c0cbd1_k.jpgAlmost there, covering needs to relax a while longer, then to adhere and trim by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Stunning old lad I wish I had that much room.

Aint that the truth.

Total I fit some edging to my working areas :)

32576408381_f45fe0682b_z.jpgDSC04920 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

32657971846_469a21de66_z.jpgDSC04921 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

32576409331_0965d2e7d1_z.jpgDSC04922 by Micky Aldridge, on Flickr

Currently only secured with hot glue as I wanted to see how it looks, and then remove it again to stain it to match my vintage drawers.

Edited by SSTEEL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SSTEEL said:

Currently only secured with hot glue as I wanted to see how it looks, and then remove it again to stain it to match my vintage drawers.

Can't get the picture of you standing in your vintage drawers working on watches out of my head..................it ain't pretty! :startle: