Work benches / Desks

Tmuir

Found a posting online for this vintage watchmaker's bench. It's listed as being from the 1970's and they're asking $300. The seller is with in driving distance so I could pick up and avoid exorbitant shipping costs. I'm looking for a smaller bench to start rather than building something more permanent due to the fact that I have to move every so often due to my partner's line of work. Wondering what others spent on setting up a work space and if this piece is worth pursuing. Not too thrilled with what looks like plywood back and side paneling but it's the cheapest I've seen in this style (by hundreds of dollars) compared to Esslinger's et al.

il_570xN.1107273359_oucn (1).jpg

il_570xN.1107273371_kg79.jpg

il_570xN.1107273349_3ein.jpg

For three hundred I would pass...the construction looks to be very sketchy at best. The amount of warp-age between the carcass and the drawers says there would not be much to work with during a refinish. Going down the Ikea path would seem more logical and better bang for the buck, Especially in a situation where one was moving a lot. The adjustable table with the side drawer units would lend itself to moving, plus it would be easy to add side and back rails and there is a plethora of add on accessories.

The more I look at it the more i would pass...:thumbsd:  I can usually see a diamond in the rough, but I only see coal here.

Ron 

Edited by 94marconi
spelling
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Israel Slick said:

It's listed as being from the 1970's and they're asking $300.

I think the top may have been added in the 70's. :biggrin: Your better off going new, even my bench was ~$350, it is really a jewelers bench, I just modified it.DSCF0052.thumb.JPG.13d6c8d7d4b15ab238d17b7a5ae9d6b5.JPG