propper way to remove a balance

thessler

Hi

I am still new to this so please excuse my basic questions. 

I have seen two different ways to remove a balance, I have tried both and one got me in trouble and I fear the second way.

First way I have seen and done is to remove the cock let the balance hang and just pull it out. . In my experience the balance got temporarily hung up and shot out creating havoc with the balance spring, wich gave me plenty of practice untangling balance springs.

The second way I have seen it to grab the balance and the cock as one unit in the tweezers and remove.

My fear of this and it may be unfounded is it would seem like a very easy way to bend the top pivot squeezing the balance and cock together on one side.

Please advise the generally accepted practice.

Thank you, Tom

1 hour ago, thessler said:

I have seen two different ways to remove a balance, I have tried both and one got me in trouble and I fear the second way.

First way I have seen and done is to remove the cock let the balance hang and just pull it out. . In my experience the balance got temporarily hung up and shot out creating havoc with the balance spring, wich gave me plenty of practice untangling balance springs.

The second way I have seen it to grab the balance and the cock as one unit in the tweezers and remove.

I  agree with your concern and have asked myself the same question. However, I have done either way without any damage. I think that professionals prefer the first method, and they also use a balance "tack" to hold the cock, which I don't think will ever do. 

20 hours ago, rodabod said:

For a typical Swiss lever, twist the cock (I usually go anti-clockwise) as you lift to help the impulse jewel on the balance disengage from the pallet fork. 

That's fine but the OP specific question was:

Your take?

On 12/17/2016 at 11:26 AM, thessler said:

Where did you see this? Sounds like a great way to break a pivot to me. Angle the staff while the pivot is in the jewel and ping!

Let the balance hang, but it takes practice to get the twist and turns right so that it comes safely out of the movement. As you get better at seeing what's interfering with what, it will get easier. Every caliber is a little different, sometimes pivots hang up in the jewel, etc. etc. but you'll get there. 

On one of the first movements I did I took the balance out and put it back at least a dozen times in order to gain a bit of proficiency.

Have fun!

51 minutes ago, dadistic said:

Where did you see this? Sounds like a great way to break a pivot to me. Angle the staff while the pivot is in the jewel and ping!

If the upper jewel is removed first (as in good practice when servicing), the pivot is not compromised. 

• Like 1

On 18 December 2016 at 5:40 PM, jdm said:

That's fine but the OP specific question was:

Your take?

My take would be what forum member Dadistic said. I don't like the idea of lifting out the balance and cock as a whole, though I guess it may be safe to do if the cock literally never slips within the tweezers.

Rather embarrassingly, I actually had an Omega cal 552 balance spring get tangled the other day when removing as it suddenly leaped out during removal. Couldn't get that tangle to untangle which is a real shame, but I have a spare balance complete anyway. 

I seldom use the 'dangling balance' method. It's always been holding the balance and cock together in the tweezers for me.

The only times I've dangled the balance is when I remove the balance without removing the movement from the case..(pure laziness).

Anilv

• Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 9:26 AM, thessler said:

This is the method I employ but I should note there are a few precautions that can be taken to keep the balance from getting hung up.  If you've watched some of the YouTube videos posted by @Mark you'll notice his careful manipulation of the balance wheel and balance cock prior to lifting both away from the movement; it's these little maneuvers that are key to pulling the balance away without it catching on anything.

Some things to consider:

1. The center wheel is usually the biggest obstacle so keep an keen eye on it
  2. Dried oils will can cause the balance to stick to the movement- removing the jewels first (if possible) will help
  3. A quarter turn on the cock left or right when lifting will help disengage the roller jewel from the pallet
  4. Go slow and steady

By the way- you can separate the balance from the cock before removing either from the movement if the balance is fitted with a Breguet hairspring.  Whether this is considered proper or not I do not know.