Setting a Longines Grand Prize Automatic?

mcass

I picked this up at a flea market today. When I went to set it, turning hands clockwise, the crown screwed off the stem. I screwed the crown back on and was able to set hands turning counter clockwise. What is the proper way to set time and date?1d9fffebff1a170ad884b6fff6f64528.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The movement could well come through the front of the watch on a grand prize does it say anything else on the back of the watch such as " use wrench number ---" . The watch should set turning either clockwise or counter clockwise sounds like the crown is just loose.

• Like 1

From what I remember the movement comes out from the front. It has a two-piece stem, so you pull it right out. You need the proper tool for removing the glass, when that is removed the movement can be taken out. What is happening with the button its unscrewing off the stem, when you have the stem out with pin tongs you can screw it up nice and tight on the stem (some repairs will add a little Loctite) but be careful not to break the stem. I’m not sure but the stem and button might have two positions pull out once to set the hands, pull again and it might be a rapid date change or the other way round.

Then its a front loader the movement comes through the front after the crystal is removed. You can use a crystal lifter to do this. I've done this on a admiral 1200, the stem will be a split stem having two parts.

Since the crown has come off you have an alternative. If you have a large syringe available and can effect a suitable seal around the stem tube you can pressurise the air inside the watch and pop the crystal off.

That would work Marc, but a crystal tool will still be required to replace the crystal.

Geo I was thinking about ordering what you have there but before I do, what is the difference, if any, between that and a crystal press? Are they used for the same purposes?

36 minutes ago, mcass said:

Geo I was thinking about ordering what you have there but before I do, what is the difference, if any, between that and a crystal press? Are they used for the same purposes?

A crystal lifter is for platic watch crystals it works because it compresses the crystal around the edge and the crystal has enough give to compress to a smaller size allowing removal the same tool is used to replace the cyrstal. A crystal press is used for cyrstals that are friction fit and have no give such as amoured acrylic or glass and have to be pushed into the watch case or bezel. For your watch a crystal lifter will allow removal and refitting of the crystal.

Edited by wls1971
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
From what I remember the movement comes out from the front. It has a two-piece stem, so you pull it right out. You need the proper tool for removing the glass, when that is removed the movement can be taken out. What is happening with the button its unscrewing off the stem, when you have the stem out with pin tongs you can screw it up nice and tight on the stem (some repairs will add a little Loctite) but be careful not to break the stem. I’m not sure but the stem and button might have two positions pull out once to set the hands, pull again and it might be a rapid date change or the other way round.

Ok I finally got the crystal lift tool in the mail and it worked great. Still have a question about the crown though. With the movement in the case and crown pulled, I still can not see the stem to hold to tighten crown. I am assuming therefore that I need to use loctite. Is there a specific type to use? I'm trouble because I'm not sure then how it would later be removed if it needed serviced again. The whole damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Any thoughts?

You need to pull the stem right out of the watch so that it separates. You can then grip the stem in a pin vice while you tighten the crown. You will also be able to remove the movement from the case if you need to.

You do need to pull quite hard by the way.

As Marc has said you need to pull the stem right out from the movement. If you try to wind the button on the stem in the case and add loctite the chances are you will not have the right depth for the button and it won't work properly, you might find you need to change the button as the thread just might be worn. As Marc mentioned pull it hard, some can be sods to pull out of the movement and away from the case.