Setting a Longines Grand Prize Automatic?

mcass

A little update. After wearing it for a few days it seems to need a full service. It does run however it stops every night as it is in the process of the date change. The rest of the day it keeps decent time. May be my next service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've run into the crown coming off of the stem in a few of my watches. what i've been doing is putting a micro drop of thread locker on the crown and reinstalling in on the stem. it usuall will hold until i can get it taken out properly. then i will tighten it on the stem with a pair of tweezers. usually that is all it takes for a permanent fix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have had more time with it I think it is working fine but only if wound with crown. The automatic portion does not seem to be winding the main spring. What would cause that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to research this watch and have come across something that I am unsure about as to its originality. The case has a number 2579-343 yet the movement is stamped 345. Would this necessarily mean that this movement is not original to this specific case? I know the 343 and 345 were from the same time period but beyond this I am not real sure. I have sent the question to Longines but it will be a couple of weeks before I hear back from them and I was hoping maybe someone might know a little about this. I am planning on getting rid of this one soon and just want to know everything I can about it first.

DSC04762.JPG

DSC04763.JPG

DSC04764.JPG

I looked up the 345 movement on the Ranfft website and found it to be quite interesting with a few unusual details...

Screen shot 2017-01-22 at 9.58.57 PM.png

Screen shot 2017-01-22 at 9.59.22 PM.png

Screen shot 2017-01-22 at 10.16.10 PM.png

First off bring the optional Ruby bearings for the rotor , and not mentioned in jewel count. Next is what is described as the dial side ratchet crown mechanism with rocker bar.

As far as the case markings , I will venture a guess that the same case was used for the different calibers in this same series family . I have a Longines 5 Star Admiral that uses the same case for the 508 , 505 , 503 , and maybe others . The differences in the calibers may be that some are day , day / date , different jewel count , etc.

It could have also been a transitional period between the calibers . As I said , just a guess and hopefully Longines or someone else can shed some light on the subject .

A Very nice looking watch you have there . You can't go wrong with a Longines.

• Like 1