Setting a Longines Grand Prize Automatic?

mcass

A little update. After wearing it for a few days it seems to need a full service. It does run however it stops every night as it is in the process of the date change. The rest of the day it keeps decent time. May be my next service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've run into the crown coming off of the stem in a few of my watches. what i've been doing is putting a micro drop of thread locker on the crown and reinstalling in on the stem. it usuall will hold until i can get it taken out properly. then i will tighten it on the stem with a pair of tweezers. usually that is all it takes for a permanent fix.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have had more time with it I think it is working fine but only if wound with crown. The automatic portion does not seem to be winding the main spring. What would cause that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I have been trying to research this watch and have come across something that I am unsure about as to its originality. The case has a number 2579-343 yet the movement is stamped 345. Would this necessarily mean that this movement is not original to this specific case? I know the 343 and 345 were from the same time period but beyond this I am not real sure. I have sent the question to Longines but it will be a couple of weeks before I hear back from them and I was hoping maybe someone might know a little about this. I am planning on getting rid of this one soon and just want to know everything I can about it first.

DSC04762.JPG

DSC04763.JPG

DSC04764.JPG

I looked up the 345 movement on the Ranfft website and found it to be quite interesting with a few unusual details...

Screen shot 2017-01-22 at 9.58.57 PM.png

Screen shot 2017-01-22 at 9.59.22 PM.png

Screen shot 2017-01-22 at 10.16.10 PM.png

First off bring the optional Ruby bearings for the rotor , and not mentioned in jewel count. Next is what is described as the dial side ratchet crown mechanism with rocker bar.

As far as the case markings , I will venture a guess that the same case was used for the different calibers in this same series family . I have a Longines 5 Star Admiral that uses the same case for the 508 , 505 , 503 , and maybe others . The differences in the calibers may be that some are day , day / date , different jewel count , etc.

It could have also been a transitional period between the calibers . As I said , just a guess and hopefully Longines or someone else can shed some light on the subject .

A Very nice looking watch you have there . You can't go wrong with a Longines.

• Like 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Thank you all for the replies!  Very informative! True enough, the Gamsol took some time to evaporate and does leave a residue. So not all naphtha are created equal!  Need to find alternatives then. i was able to try Hexane recommended by Alex and it seems great.  I wonder what the cons are?
    • Yeah, I saw that in the tech sheet but I don't see how it can be adequately cleaned with the friction pinion still in place. I've accidentally pulled the arbor right out of the wheel once when I used a presto tool to try and remove it. Mark shows how he does it with the Platax tool. Those are a little too pricey for me so I got one of these from Aliexpress and I just push down on the arbor with the end of my brass tweezers. That usually gets it most of the way out and then I just grab the wheel with one hand the and the friction pinion with the other and gently rotate them until it pops off. Probably not the best way but it's seemed to work for me so far.    
    • Thanks, Jon Sounds like a plan. Obviously I'll have the face on so do you think gripping with the holder will create any problems, but I will check in the morning to see how feasible it is but I assume it only needs to be lightly held. As for holding the movement instead of the holder won't be possible in this scenario as one hand will be puling on the stem while the other pushes the spring down. That was my initial concern is how the hell can I do this with only one pair of hands. All the other times I've had to remove the stem hasn't been a problem, apart from the force required to release the stem from the setting lever, but now I need to fit the face and hands its sent me into panic mode. If it had the screw type release things would be a lot simpler but that's life 😀   Another thing I will need to consider is once the dial and hands are fitted and the movement is sitting in the case I will need to turn it over to put the case screws in. I saw a vid on Wristwatch revival where he lightly fitted the crystal and bezel so he could turn it over, is this the only option or is there another method?      
    • Hi Jon, do You think that relation spring torque - amplitude is linear? I would rather guess that the amplitude should be proportional to the square of the torque. I had once idea to check it, but still haven't.
    • I did not. I thought about it, but I had cleaned it in my ultrasonic, and the tech sheet shows lubricating it in place already assembled, so I figured discretion was the better part of valor. Although since I have to depth the jewels anyway, maybe I pull the pinion off to rule it out 100% as part of the problem. Do you know if there's a safe way to do it? I don't want to use a puller because it would push down on the plane of the wheel, and that seems like a Bad Idea. I thought about using a roller table remover, but I don't think I have a hole stake pointy enough to push it down.