hello from up North

Yorkie

Hello all,

Got bitten by the watch repair bug only very recently, so essentially a complete beginner.

reading the books, collecting the tools and playing with some basic movements.

will be using this site extensively , me thinks.

Quick question - where would i find a document/book/website describing all possible watch models and makes, so i can start to recognise watch types better? 

(I dont mean the tech sheets as i have founf those, thanks)

Many thanks

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Quick question - where would i find a document/book/website describing all possible watch models and makes, so i can start to recognise watch types better? 

(I dont mean the tech sheets as i have founf those, thanks)

Many thanks

Greetings and Salutations!

Well, all possible models is a tall order, there have been an astounding number and variation of watches produced over the years. You might take a look at the book section at Cousinsuk.com, the Wristwatch Annual would give you an overview of modern watches, and some of the collector guides might help with older ones. 

Have fun!

Hi Yorkie, I'm new here, too.  You can learn a lot from the bestfit catalog.  It shows a lot of movement brands and even has some pictures of various parts.  It won't help you with history or prices or collectibility (I know that's not a real word), but it  is sure helpful if you're looking for parts.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Yorkie,

I would suggest you get the Complete price guide to Watches by Cooksey Shugart as it is the nearest you will get to what you are asking for.  It contains a load more than just prices including pics of movements and parts for recognition, I get a new one every couple of years.

It has of course not got every make of watch documented but it is a thick book with loads of info. Tracing on the forums for specifics will give you a good chance of a result as much has been documented.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich
  • Like 1

Welcome and Vich is right, even a ten year old Shugart book has enough basic info to get you more than excited about watches and what to look for, sadly they don't cover Japanese models (or at least the one I have) and most of the "American" manufactures, Hamilton, Bulova, Waltham all had Swiss made movements through the years, so good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.

• 1 month later...

well chaps , you were all right. The watch bug got hold....

been reading the forums, got books for xmas, including the cooksey book, purchased 2 broken pocket watches and fixed them, acquiring tools now, this site is superb for learning/training - thank you Mark

recently met a local 50yr + experienced watch repairman which is invaluable.

Frightened now the watch collection starts....

• Like 1

well chaps , you were all right. The watch bug got hold....

been reading the forums, got books for xmas, including the cooksey book, purchased 2 broken pocket watches and fixed them, acquiring tools now, this site is superb for learning/training - thank you Mark

recently met a local 50yr + experienced watch repairman which is invaluable.

Frightened now the watch collection starts....

Also have the Watch repair virus :) 36 Pocket Watches fixed so far and not one sold:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro