Installing Mainspring with Catch on Barrel Rim

1 hour ago, Folkvisor said:

How about fixing a chipped section of a dial. Someone put whiteout on it and it's really ugly. There must be a way of getting it re-enameled or some kind of fill one can use that looks better than whiteout.

A suggestion why not start a new question with how to fix enameled dials? As mixed subjects in a discussion sometimes things fall through the cracks and this would make an interesting discussion.

I thought there was a crack filler out there for this application?  I had someone service a Hampden for me a while ago and it sure looked like whiteout...matte finish against shiny porcelain made it obvious.

BTW I fixed my hairspring strumming problem, it wasn't captured in the guide pin...nice quiet ticking now.  

On 5/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, transporter said:

Nice work mate, quick tip for you, ive had a few cracked dials like yours and have picked up a tip on cleaning them, get yourself a pack of denture cleaning tablets, 1x glass of warm water drop in the tablet and the dial and wait 3 mins take out dial rinse off and I guarantee that them cracks will be invisible.

Before you start make sure the numbers are actually in the enamel as they can be lifted if you are not careful,  its not happened to me yet but I'm always careful.

Is there an obvious tell to determine if the numbers are in the enamel?  Will they be glossed over?

On 18/10/2016 at 2:14 AM, jdrichard said:

Just installed a new Mainspring for a pocket watch barrel and it hooks onto the outer rim of the barrel. My problem is that once the spring is pushed into the barrel the centre arbour was hooked by the spring started to slip once it reached a little tension. This would indicate that the spring has unhooked or was never hooked to the outer barrel rim. Are there any Tips for making sure that the spring is actually hooked on the barrel?9925189a61eb0edd5d04d23a377118db.jpg16a033ded57ff9e736635a11c2dc3ceb.jpgdf0e8aeff470ec61ae280143ceee030b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the spring in by hand and don't use a winder then you know it is hooked on, but make sure that you bend the the last 5mm

• Like 1

Put the spring in by hand and don't use a winder then you know it is hooked on, but make sure that you bend the the last 5mm

Thanks. I have guitar hands so this could be a challenge:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro