Am I right in thinking this eaby clock is an asian reproduction ?

wls1971

On 03/10/2016 at 0:45 PM, wls1971 said:

Hi,

Spotted this clock on Ebay advertised as a french great wheel clock, my feeling is its an Asian repo am I right in thinking this ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/French-Great-Wheel-Single-Fusee-Skeleton-Clock-/162225517390?hash=item25c564f34e:g:8pYAAOSwLF1X8VIt

Wayne

Did you manage to win it?

No I did a bit of research and I am convinced its a chinese reproduction there are quite a few about at the moment.

I also checked on ebay and this seller had sold it before for £680.00 under a different user name but same location and pictures that always put's me off when users have multiple seller accounts, why did the sale fall through ?.

It may be a good clock regardless but it is clearly not what the seller stated and at £344.00 I was happy to pass on it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

No I did a bit of research and I am convinced its a chinese reproduction there are quite a few about at the moment.

I also checked on ebay and this seller had sold it before for £680.00 under a different user name but same location and pictures that always put's me off when users have multiple seller accounts, why did the sale fall through ?.

It may be a good clock regardless but it is clearly not what the seller stated and at £344.00 I was happy to pass on it.

Good for you.

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

I found this Chinese site on the web selling reproduction clocks a number of these clocks have been sold in auction houses recently buyer beware and quite a few are turning up on ebay advertised as antique clocks,

https://jgclock.world.taobao.com/

You know something is wrong when they don't show the movement. Just the look of them is enough. Thanks for pointing it out, ebay is very dodgy when it comes to clocks.

On 10/4/2016 at 11:33 AM, wls1971 said:

If its a resale, its possible that the first buyer bowed out.

Everything has value, even replicas nonetheless you were very prudent in avoid getting in too deep. 

Its important that the seller declare when its the genuine item or a replica.

Edited by MilTimeCan

32 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

You know something is wrong when they don't show the movement. Just the look of them is enough. Thanks for pointing it out, ebay is very dodgy when it comes to clocks.

Mind boggling to see so many replicas.

Its unfortunate because it just dampens the marketplace when you have to check so closely from online.  

I know what you mean, unfortunately the antiques trade is very dodgy at times. In the past I knew many people that where in the trade and you wouldn't believe what went on, I also became a buyer of clocks for an antique shop. It was nice spending other persons money. 

• Like 1