I think I've seen it all on ebay when it comes to crap

oldhippy

27 minutes ago, Brian3 said:

Unbelievable what some people will try to sell.............do you think anyone will be crazy enough to place a bid?? A scrap merchant perhaps??

I would think there are many who don't know what they are or what they are used for.

• Like 1

On 15 September 2016 at 5:22 PM, chrisdt said:

I have a Long case clock thats been in the garden for 40 years so I might buy then!!!!

Yikes!  Now I know why my wife didn't like the piano we spied in a garden once.

44 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

There for a Longcase.

Yep.  Tried once to cast something similar for one of the fancy round pieces I was missing using a existing one for a pattern.   It was okay but I had to use it on one of the back pillars on the top where it would be least noticeable.  Nowadays I suppose one could scan it and print it out of resin or plastic on a 3-D printer using a cellphone.  Bogles the mind sometimes.  Of course it doesn't take much to bogle my mind.  

2 hours ago, vinn3 said:

what is your cure for rusty clock parts?  vinn

There is no cure vinn.  chrisdt's "garden clock" will always and forever be a garden clock.  

Way back when I started I used naval jelly, sandpaper and steel wool.  Didn't know any better.  Ruined quite a few things.  Now it would depend on the parts and where the corrosion is. YouTube and google are amazing as is JB Weld.  Internal parts if I can't restore the working surface to good enough, then I buy or fashion a new one.  Have a friend who is a tool and die guy and he gave me lots of advice on tools and techniques in the beginning.  Now that I am into watches he gets a kick out of all the tiny "tools" we use, like staking and jeweling sets and the tiny broaches I have.  Looking forward to getting a watchmaker's lathe setup and see his face light up.  He works with Bridgeport mills and lathes setup that weight tons.  

Decorative parts like in the eBay ad in the start of this thread I used to take to a local plater I knew from restoring old nickel plated pot belly stoves.  I wouldnt do anything to them, just brought the whole set to him and let him do his magic.  He was amazing and always made me happy with what he could do.  Went out of business a year ago due to local government codes.  It's part of the reason I am moving on from clocks to watches.  Other part is I was getting bored with clocks.  Only clock that intrigues me right now is a Atmos clock and if I can find one cheap enough that needs help I will probably buy it.  

The good thing about rusty clocks is they are cheap or free to pick up.  I am cheap and love the challenge.  Here in Minnesota so many people put things in their basements for storage.  Damp basements are not good for clock movements or their cases, not sure what damp basements are good for...keeping fish is all I can think of.  I love craigslist ads listing broken clocks.  Get's me going.  Sick huh?

All that being said, my work is not museum quality.  I have high standards and when it suits me as good enough, then I move on.  Trial and error and never quitting.  Might be the answer you are looking for.    

On 9/19/2016 at 11:55 PM, bobm12 said:

Guys allow me to add an observation and hopefully a correction, that garden clock will not always be a garden clock...it may transform itself -- given enough time and imagination -- into a garden gnome! :)

Funny and true.  One could help it along and cut off the base and make the top bit a gnome house, complete with door.

• Like 1