Snailing pattern decoration

szbalogh

My next project is to prepare another spindle to be able to make snailing pattern on movement plates and wheels. I will try to replicate Steffen Pahlows demonstration. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_S8oA9HdlY

Currently i have one ER20 collet spindle driven by a regulated car fan DC motor that is exellent for turning parts in wax collets. My plan is to prepare another of such DC motor for the other spindle. 

Here is a picture with the DC motor disassembled and ready for cleaning. You can notice that i have already cleaned the commutator. 

2016-09-12_19.04.41.jpeg

Next is to turn a grinding attachment with a cylindrical grinding face mounted on the shaft of the second motor with set screw(s).

At about 5 minutes and 50 seconds into the video below they show finishing the plates then how the girl puts decoration on and even one of the templates they used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys4ChOWYNy8

In the next links they show a variety of techniques and you learn some new terminology like GENEVA WAVES (COTES DE GENEVE) and CIRCULAR GRAINING (PERLAGE) 

http://www.thehourlounge.com/en/vacheron-constantin-articles/movement-finish-true-mark-haute-horlogerie-557275

http://www.watchwow.com/2013/09/110008/basics-of-movement-finishing?page=2#.V9hSrIJ0-70

Then a different technique which unfortunately uses a really expensive machine but does produce interesting results. Plus from time to time she runs classes with the machines she has.

https://mechanicalcurios.com/2016/02/15/photos-from-engine-turning-ii-class/

• Like 3

First try on a simple washer. It was not flat so flattened a bit on a whetstone, hence the radial scratches. 

I was using chromium powder (Cr2O3) in oil. It has some fine grain. The snailing pattern is definately there but i need more coar.se paste and need to try grinder with different diameters and speeds.

Edited by szbalogh

Once again Szbalogh I am awestruck by your ability to achieve amazing results using the most basic of set ups.

Innovation, imagination, and a "can do" approach winning over expensive kit once again, you are an inspiration.

Thanks for the video.:thumbsu::bow::bow::thumbsu:

Szbalogh, I think with the correct speed and course grit you are going to get the correct finish.  I really enjoy watching your approach to things, you remind me of my father, who virtually never got stuck on any job due to his innovative ways. Keep up the good work!

Winding wheel on the wax chuck after grinding the pattern. It has the paste on it, but here one can clearly see the lines grinded in the material.

2016-09-15_21.06.29.jpeg

Washed with paint solvent:

20160915_210840.jpeg

Here is the retaining washer after finished grinding:

20160915_214250.jpeg

And in the movement with a blued screw :)

20160915_214911.jpeg

From a distance:

20160915_214801.jpeg

20160915_215026.jpeg

Tomorrow i will make a two stage pattern on the  ratchet wheel.

20160915_215117.jpeg

• Like 1

Looking good eh? :)

2016-09-16_21.02.24.jpeg

But lets take a closer look! Notice the part close to the middle was not grinded. I was not grinding long/deep enough. The grinder did not touch this part of the wheel. I missed this before started grinding the external circle.

2016-09-16_21.02.41_mark.jpg

I could start the grinding again but it will do in this watch, since the wheel is mounted with a plate hiding that part.

2016-09-16_21.12.50.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Szbalogh,

Do you live in a part of the world where you are surrounded by watchmakers? You have a clear picture in your mind of what you want done to the watch and then work out the procedure to achieve that goal. Your degree of focus and innovation has to come from somewhere. The work itself is amazing but watching the machinery you are using moves it up to extraordinary.

david

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Добрый день. подскажите пожалуйста, какую пасту вы используете,и делаете ли наклон , для получения рисунка

Good afternoon.  Tell me which pasta you use, and whether you are tilting to get  Drawing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keks said:

Добрый день. подскажите пожалуйста, какую пасту вы используете,и делаете ли наклон , для получения рисунка

Я использую алмазную пасту из Китая. Это 1-2 USD / 10gram. Долговечность. Да, я наклоняю две оси.

I use diamond paste from China.  This is 1-2 USD / 10gram.  Durability.  Yes, I cant two axles.

• 1 month later...