Hunting for EB8420 split stem

Delroyb

Working on a Heuer Jacky Ickx at them moment with the rather dire EB8420 movement. Movement is now running as well as can be expected for a pin pallet, but the problem now is the female part of the split stem is fubar. I can find one pice stems, but not the split varieties.

Any suggestions as to who might have one, or has someone got one stashed in a parts box!

Thanks

Lawrence

Thanks for the responses gusy. This is what the stem looks like. Except it should have a matching turrent on the other side, which has snapped off, hence why it is fubar. A better picture is also on the teardown thread I did on another Ickx here IMAG1684.jpg

It is definitely an 8420 and they came with a split stem for use in one piece cases.

eb stem.jpg

That is strange see below the PDF for a 8423 which has a normal one piece stem. Also the eBay stem being sold for the 8430,8420 is also a one piece stem. It must be a mod to accommodate the case.  It,s going to be problem to source because of this fact. Does a one piece stem fit. 

EB 8423.pdf

• 7 months later...
On 9/1/2016 at 7:07 AM, Delroyb said:

Working on a Heuer Jacky Ickx at them moment with the rather dire EB8420 movement. Movement is now running as well as can be expected for a pin pallet, but the problem now is the female part of the split stem is fubar. I can find one pice stems, but not the split varieties.

Any suggestions as to who might have one, or has someone got one stashed in a parts box!

Thanks

Lawrence

Hi Delroyb, did you end up finding the female stem? I have the same chrono but missing the crown and the female part. Please if you did find it, let us know where to source it.

Thanks a lot.

17 hours ago, Delroyb said:

Hey Fred, I would be interested to see how you get on and if its fits. I ended up having to make my own by combining an ETA split stem mechanism with a 8420 regualr stem. It was a pain, but worked in the end.

Hey Delroyb, I will post an update for sure once I get it, but can you share a picture of your eta stem setup, it would be very informative for other people to see that they have an option.

Thanks

Annoyingly I didn't take a pic of the finished item. But here it is in two halves. I ended up making the stem out of rod scratch,I then hardened it and silver soldered in the section from an ETA split stem. My first attempt was using the orginal stem, but I then realised the smal guide staff on the end was missing, allowing the stem to cock and jam. Hence why I just started from sratch. It worked great in the end.

Would be a lot easier if I could have just bought one, though this type of split stem is much better designed than the orignal from EB.

ickx_stem.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...