Tall boy

atimegoneby

Evening all,

I just thought I would post this a recent acquisition, I bought it in France a couple of weeks ago, it's a longcase comtoise clock standing 7ft 8 inches tall & dates from around 1830 - 1840,

it's working but is dirty so needs a strip down & clean.

The movement is a verge escapement striking the hour & half hour with a two minute repeat on the hour. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

DSCF5156.JPG

DSCF5157.JPG

• Like 1

Very nice and with a verge escapement its a very old boy. The advantage you have with the movement is it is in two parts. You can have the going side or the strike side all apart with out touching the other. Here is a link I found that you might find interesting. Keep us up to date on your progress. 

http://www.abbeyclock.com/morbier.html

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Very nice and with a verge escapement its a very old boy. The advantage you have with the movement is it is in two parts. You can have the going side or the strike side all apart with out touching the other. Here is a link I found that you might find interesting. Keep us up to date on your progress. 

http://www.abbeyclock.com/morbier.html

Thanks for the info & link oldhippy that's really interesting, I'll post some more photo's as I go, I've been working on the case which also needed some TLC but is nearly finished.  I must say I'm a fan of these old clocks this is my second one.

Thanks again, best regards, Phil. 

• 2 months later...

Evening all,

I haven't had time to service the movement yet but here is a pic of the case , the back & sides are oak while the front panelling & door is a different wood, I think it might be walnut or chestnut , I'm sure the glass is original as you can see the ripples & imperfections in it this adds to it's character  :)  

WP_20161111_10_47_36_Pro.jpg

I would like to see the trunk door open and a close up of the lock and hinges. Same with the hood. Do I see the joints fitted by means of dowels. If I'm not mistaken you have another case to the right which also looks like a comtoise case going by the bulge near the bottom.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:57 AM, oldhippy said:

I would like to see the trunk door open and a close up of the lock and hinges. Same with the hood. Do I see the joints fitted by means of dowels. If I'm not mistaken you have another case to the right which also looks like a comtoise case going by the bulge near the bottom.

Hi oldhippy,

Here are some close ups of the door hinges they are small pin hinges fitted to the edge of the doors and almost invisible,

the joints are Mortise & Tenon type with dowels, there are no locks on the doors they just push closed with a snug fit,

at the moment it stands next to my other comtoise clock which I have going when I'm here in France.  :)

WP_20161114_15_46_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20161114_15_49_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20161114_15_51_10_Pro.jpg

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Thanks for the pictures. The reason I asked to see them was I wondered if the case was modern because it looked to clean, no patina or have you cleaned it. After my thoughts the hinges tell me other wise.

It was in poor shape when I got it, there was a large split down one side that I glued & cramped back into place, it's invisible now,

then I cleaned & treated for woodworm inside and out and with some cabinet makers preparations filled in holes and brought back the beauty of the wood.

There's still a bit of work to do on one side but overall I'm very pleased, looking forward to seeing it finished,

and I only paid 40 Euros for it  ( about £35 )   :)

DSCF5130.JPG

DSCF5134.JPG

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:57 AM, oldhippy said:

If I'm not mistaken you have another case to the right which also looks like a comtoise case going by the bulge near the bottom.

I forgot to post this one, my other comtoise, next to the tall boy case 

standing there like two giants looking across the room. :) 

WP_20161104_13_12_53_Pro.jpg

That's the shape I have seen a lot of. How did you come to call the other a Tall Boy, because its not, a tallboy is a particular piece of furniture. You can have a tall clock which some Americans use as a term for a Longcase or grandfather.

Thanks for the picture.

25 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

That's the shape I have seen a lot of. How did you come to call the other a Tall Boy, because its not, a tallboy is a particular piece of furniture. You can have a tall clock which some Americans use as a term for a Longcase or grandfather.

Thanks for the picture.

It's just a nickname I use really  because they're so tall  ( 7ft 8ins )

as you say a tall boy is a piece of furniture, a chest of drawers I think ? , or a bomb dropped by Lancaster's during WWII .