Hi all - new member from the South Coast

oli

Hi all

Well, after a very long time lurking, I thought it was about time I joined this forum! My name is Olivier and I live in the UK, in the South Coast area.

I have been a watch collector for a many years. My interest (obsession?) for working on watches started a few years ago, with a cheap tool set from ebay, and the plan to customise a Seiko SKX. It turned out great, and by then I was well on that slippery slope!

A few years down the line, I have a little workshop area setup in my house to practice and enjoy the hobby. I mainly work on Vintage Mechanical Seikos.

I have learnt so much through reading threads on this forum, I hope I will be able to contribute as well.

I will conclude my first post by thanking Mark for sharing his knowledge on his youtube channel - It has been inspirational for me, to the point that I have now decided to take the hobby to the next step, I will soon be starting formal training with the BHI.

All the best

Oli

• Like 2

Hi all and thank you very much for the warm welcome. I'll try to answer all the questions in this post (sorry multi quoting is not my forte!)

This is a photo of my collection of Seikos as it currently stands

Photo%2014-08-2016%2C%2017%2023%2059.jpg?dl=1

I say currently as it is only transient... Over the years I have had an MM300, a Samurai, a Quartz Grand Seiko SBGX005), 2 pogues (one yellow one blue), and a very rare SBQJ019 (GMT & perpetual calendar) to name the more notable ones. I guess that makes me a bit of a Seiko nut but I do also collect other brands!

Sorry I don't have a photo of my first mod to hand, but I will look for it next time I'm on the computer.

The BHI course I want to start is the distance learning, technician grade, with tutor feedback. I will probably go on 1-2 practical courses, but I want to focus on the DLC first.

And I am not sure what the earliest Seiko I have taken apart is. It would be from the 70s for sure, i have worked on 7S26, 6309, 7548, and 7009s.

Thank you all for your responses and friendly welcome

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Cad101 said:

Some pics of your mods

Found my first one! It was filed in my laptop in my 2011 folder... I didn't think it was that long ago! It takes me back a bit

it was based on a SKX. The mod consisted of the following:

Military dial and sword hands

New Seiko bezel insert and hardlex crystal

Aluminium chapter ring 

vulcanised rubber strap from Cousins.

Bearing in mind that before I did this I could just about remove a strap, it felt like a huge achievement at the time :) 

Photo%2010-12-2011%2C%2022%2023%2049.jpg

On 21.8.2016 at 0:40 AM, Cad101 said:

Nice looking watch big bold and bright. At the moment I'm waiting on parts from mother Russia for some vostok amphibia mods. But the post is a nightmare at around 5 weeks ah well only 4 more to go :D

Patience my friend, patience. Think of other things, and suddenly the parts comes...

On 20.8.2016 at 9:07 PM, oli said:

Hi all and thank you very much for the warm welcome. I'll try to answer all the questions in this post (sorry multi quoting is not my forte!)

This is a photo of my collection of Seikos as it currently stands

Photo%2014-08-2016%2C%2017%2023%2059.jpg?dl=1

So many fine looking old Seikos, Im too into mostley Seikos myself too, divers.... That 6105-8110 is it with an aftermarked dial or original?

I say currently as it is only transient... Over the years I have had an MM300, a Samurai, a Quartz Grand Seiko SBGX005), 2 pogues (one yellow one blue), and a very rare SBQJ019 (GMT & perpetual calendar) to name the more notable ones. I guess that makes me a bit of a Seiko nut but I do also collect other brands!

Sorry I don't have a photo of my first mod to hand, but I will look for it next time I'm on the computer.

The BHI course I want to start is the distance learning, technician grade, with tutor feedback. I will probably go on 1-2 practical courses, but I want to focus on the DLC first.

And I am not sure what the earliest Seiko I have taken apart is. It would be from the 70s for sure, i have worked on 7S26, 6309, 7548, and 7009s.

Thank you all for your responses and friendly welcome

On 19.8.2016 at 10:11 PM, oli said:

Hi all

Well, after a very long time lurking, I thought it was about time I joined this forum! My name is Olivier and I live in the UK, in the South Coast area.

I have been a watch collector for a many years. My interest (obsession?) for working on watches started a few years ago, with a cheap tool set from ebay, and the plan to customise a Seiko SKX. It turned out great, and by then I was well on that slippery slope!

A few years down the line, I have a little workshop area setup in my house to practice and enjoy the hobby. I mainly work on Vintage Mechanical Seikos.

I have learnt so much through reading threads on this forum, I hope I will be able to contribute as well.

I will conclude my first post by thanking Mark for sharing his knowledge on his youtube channel - It has been inspirational for me, to the point that I have now decided to take the hobby to the next step, I will soon be starting formal training with the BHI.

All the best

Oli

DSC_0017.JPG

Hello, and very mutch welcome. You sound like a good chaps, since you likes Seikos. I also have a pogues, there are nice watches...reminds me of the old days....

On 19.8.2016 at 10:11 PM, oli said:

Hi all

All the best

Oli

Welcome to us! This is a great site, with lots of nice people...