smiths empire 3 train westminster finally running

transporter

Here's another few, first 2 are of the levers on the chime side as they sit between the plates, pictures 3 4  5 & 6 are of the front with the rack etc as it is right now, and the final one is of the strike side wheel locked by the long lever.

hopefully you may be able to point me in the right direction to get these chimes set up, I've never done it before so if you could keep this simple that would be great guys, and thank you.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This vid is not the same movement as a Smiths but gives you a really good idea of how the strike & chime sides work. There are similarities with the Smiths IE it is a rack & snail set up with a westminster chime.

I suggest you watch this vid a few times & then compare it to how the Smiths works.
Once to know how it actually works adjustments & fault finding will become a lot easier.

Now what I can see from the first picture, pity the fly wheel is in the way, The leaver to the right has a part that sits under the leaver closest to the plate, it needs to be adjusted by the screw so it is as close as possible without it lifting  up, now turn the minute from its center to the first quieter you will get the warning first then move a little more until and it should lift enough for the wheel to be released and go round once and then drop in the grove again, if this works turn the hand again until you have completed one hour.

Tell me if it has worked. This part is all about getting that leaver at the correct depth.

Apologies for not being here tonight gents, late night finishing at work, oldhippy, I get the two levers, so the one on the right needs to lifted so it's touching the one on the left but not lifting it, is this correct?

If this is correct, what position should I have the chiming wheel (the one on the right) ?

After that, where shoud the rack be, and where should the pin be that sits in the rack?

The centre cam, what position should this be in and does the minute hand have to be in line with any part of that cam?

Are any of these questions relevant to setting up the chimes and strikes? Really sorry if they sound dumb or pushy ie not taking notice of what you have said and taken time to explain to me, I hope they are relevant to what you have said so atleast then I won't offend your good self. 

No clock work tonight hopefully tomorrow I can get the screwdrivers out, fingers crossed, thanks again

I get the two levers, so the one on the right needs to lifted so it's touching the one on the left but not lifting it, is this correct? Yes

If this is correct, what position should I have the chiming wheel (the one on the right) ? Do you mean the wheel with the little pin in it? if so look at the video clockboy has posted and you can see the pin so yours needs to be about the same place.

After that, where should the rack be, and where should the pin be that sits in the rack? Part 1 should be under part two and part one should be sitting in the slot of part 3 and the wheel with the pin in it next to the fly wheel should be about where I have put the green arrow.

image.thumb.jpeg.327451982a95044d4dc12422bae469cb.jpg

The part that lifts the hammer must not be touching any of the stars on the star wheel. With some star wheels it is possible to move the star because some are friction tight ( i can't remember on this type) if you decide to try be very careful because if it is not friction tight you could bend teeth or bend a wheel or pinion out of shape. 

The center cam, what position should this be in and does the minute hand have to be in line with any part of that cam? No.

This tells you what is what and I've included the strike and chime for you.

Are any of these questions relevant to setting up the chimes and strikes? Really sorry if they sound dumb or pushy ie not taking notice of what you have said and taken time to explain to me, I hope they are relevant to what you have said so atleast then I won't offend your good self. 

Don't worry I love helping out. That's what this friendly forum is for.

image.thumb.jpeg.725bec1ca0c354a5d24523409c644257.jpg

image.jpeg.b4277d60bd6c843af16e2d3855213e54.jpg

Huge thanks for the pictures with all the information, it doesn't look like I'm going to get much time to start this this week due to work, so it looks like a weekend task, if not hopefully a Friday afternoon tinkering session.

I shall study what you have written and digest as best I can and hopefully put it all into practice and get it working . Stay tuned for my progress ok

• 4 months later...

Old hippy and others that have helped me so far! Right guys this is the story so far, today I have been working on this clock again as I am at my parents home so I have had nearly 8 hours going over this movement.

I finally got the chimes and strikes to work when they should and in the correct order, I put the top cover on and it didn't strike, think I might of caught the silent lever, so off came the cover and reset the time, and gave it a test by forward assisting the minute hand around the dial allowing it to catch the warnings and allowing every chime and strike do their things.

Now I seem to have found a problem where if I allow the movement to go by itself through the time till it hits the warning, then onto the chime, it seems to take too long for the movement to move so to speak and allow the lever to stop the lift of the chiming lever thus allowing the clock to continously chime nonstop and throw in the odd strike for good measure.

I have just now had it do a warning and chime and hour strike by itself under its own steam, fingers crossed it might be self healing