Nice vice from Cousins

sstakoff

Hmn, talking of jaw shoes, just to hijack this thread, briefly...
I've just been reminded of something that bugs me, is it not possible anywhere to get replacement jaws?

I have a bergeon vice at work, old and beaten, but mostly fine, except for the plates/jaws are in poor condition, annoyingly enough they can be removed via two large screws, but I've never seen any kind of supplier offer replacements. Seems strange.

Edited by Ishima

9 hours ago, Ishima said:

Hmn, talking of jaw shoes, just to hijack this thread, briefly...
I've just been reminded of something that bugs me, is it not possible anywhere to get replacement jaws?

I have a bergeon vice at work, old and beaten, but mostly fine, except for the plates/jaws are in poor condition, annoyingly enough they can be removed via two large screws, but I've never seen any kind of supplier offer replacements. Seems strange.

Remove the jaws and take them to an engineering firm and have then surface ground.  It's a very simple job and shouldn't cost too much.

Depending on how close the screw heads are to the face of the jaws, you may have to have some metal removed from the face of the screws.

I have the same vise, pictured here with the world's most annoying copper jaw shoes. Rev. #2 will have clips on the side that fold over the back of the jaw. The vise screw binds a little when closing, but not enough to complain to Cousins about.

Besides the normal bench mount, I also made up a holder for it out of a huge chunk of steel. It probably weighs 5kg or so, with cork stick on-pads as feet. That weight is just nice to keep the vise from slipping on the table, while it can still easily be rotated and moved. I have a slightly bigger vise for hacksawing etc.

The weird T-slot construction was due lack of a proper T-slot cutter.. It wasn't a very fun project, since I bought the wrong type of steel chunk off-cut, with too high a carbon content (compared to mild steel). I think one end was plasma-cut, which left a super hard surface that destroyed a few HSS endmills before I realized what was going on.. A smarter person would have picked the non-hardened side to mill a slot in.

20160628_092739.jpg

20160628_092803.jpg

• Like 1