Just look at this rubbish

oldhippy

Today I thought I'd pop over to good old ebay and have a look to see what was about in antique clocks. They never disappoint me because I can find rubbish which sellers try to palm of on people. 

This is todays find and what salesmanship it comes with. Tell me what you think is wrong and if you are right you win a peanut.:D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beautiful-Antique-French-Surpintine-Mahogany-Inlaid-8-Day-Mantel-Carriage-Clock-/191905214083?hash=item2cae712e83:g:xmUAAOSwGIRXbVWx

8 hours ago, wls1971 said:

My guess is the platform escapement is a Swiss lever and far too modern for a antique clock so the sellers claim that the clock is all original is untrue ( a blatant lie actually ).

You are correct.:Bravo: There is more.

Nice quizz! :)   I didn't even know there was such a thing as a mantel carriage clock. I thought this looked like a conversion from pendulum to carrriage (the mantel case can support a pendulum I guess), but there's no hole for a pendulum to pass through in the case cylinder. Is that carriage original?

How is this thing wound btw? With the big square arbor on the back?

I have just emailed the seller with this. I'll let you know what his reply is, I bet there not pleased.:D

Why haven't you mentioned that the platform escapement is a replacement there for the clock isn't an antique as you have stated. You need to change this description immediately it's a false description and I'll instruct ebay if it's not changed A S A P.

I don't think for one minute this is a French movement.

Hands are not fitted the way I would expect with a nice hand collet and pin. It looks like a modern nut.

Platform escapement looks modern and not very good the colour is also two modern.

What gives it away is the back plate. Oil sinks very shallow almost none existent. The righting is inconsistent and that arrow for the hands is so wrong it's not nice and its far too big. The screws are modern and incompatible.   

Is it from ebay?

Edited by oldhippy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, szbalogh said:

Thank You for the informations!

No, its just a guys clock on another forum asking for the value. O dont know much about clock so i promised for him to ask a professional clockmaker ;)

It also looks poor quality brass going by the back plate.  

• Like 1

The answer to my original post.

It's what is called a marriage, a clock movement is put into another case very popular with Longcase clocks, many of you know these clocks as grandfather clocks.  

The case is fine looking and it has the correct description.

The movement comes from a different case and is what is called a drum fitting movement.

What gives it away is as clockboy said the dial and hands, if you look carefully the fitting of the hands is incorrect they should be held with a collet and pin, not a nut, the centre wheel has been altered to fit the dial, hands are bad they are modern they are not fine which you would expect if original.  The platform is a complete replacement and is nothing like what the original would have been.

Thanks for the input and it made it fun and games so everyone who took part you each win a peanut.:D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That's not rubbish. Its a 30 hour Longcase clock dated about 1790 no later then 1800. There's a lot of work involved in putting it in good working order. Pity it doesn't have its original case. Its what as known as a cottage longcase. The painting of a cottage on the dial has nothing to do with the clock name. Very basic sometimes crude movements would be called such a name. More then likely the case would be made of oak and very plain.

• Like 1

i just bought a "Shatz type"   ships clock.    its smaller and made of much heaver brass. it sounds like the same mvt..  the only writing is "made in germany"  and an insignia of what looks like wings (both on the dial).  i will be opening it for service and see any other writing.