BHI Distance Learning Course

Hi Everyone! I'm Kyle, 27 years of age & I'm from Leicester, UK.

I Work for a watch company where the watches are basic miyota movements (if anything wrong just replace with new movement). I service around 4-5 mechanical/automatic watches a month.

I'm due to take the BHI Exams within the next week and I no matter how may times I read & re-read the books, the information just will not stick in my damn brain!

I've never even opened a clock before and I'm going to be asked questions on these...is it possible to learn just from reading and does anybody have any tips on retaining information?

I'm stressed out t the minute when I should be enjoying this profession!

Thanks for looking :-)

I was diagnosed with Dyslexia which is very poor short term memory. However the technic I was shown many,many  years ago & this worked for me. When reading an article read it through once then read again BUT hand right down the relevant points as you go & some how it just sticks in the brain box. 

• Like 1

I'm a great believer that you can only learn so much from books, there is nothing better than working on a watch or clock in a workshop because no matter what you learn from books there's nothing better than hands on to gain experience. Unless you have the same equipment and the same movement it will be different.  Basic stuff from books yes but get stuck in.

Yoga breathing and relaxation could help too when reading the material...not kidding this time though, just try it and you'll see. Try to picture the pages in your mind if you are a visual learner otherwise, record yourself and play back what you read...you can even play it while you sleep...it is sort of subliminal without the brain wash.

Get yourself a self hypnosis relaxation disc, I have used these on students before with great success, also when reading read aloud and make notes.  We all have different ways in which we learn, Auditory, Visual and Kinesthetic, sleep is also the best way to remember things, as during sleep we retain information that we have learnt during our waking hours.

Edited by Alienfox

I'm doing year 1 exams this week too (theory, servicing, clock component). Have you been doing the test exams? I was surprised how incapable I was at answering some of the questions when I looked at the first exam (before I started revising). I've done two now, and the second one could pass I think. Next is one more test exam and one more 955.412 practice servicing. Haven't done an exam in 20 years (I'm early 40s) :) 

The 2.5 hour theory time limit is going to a possible issue -- you just have to write so much text and draw diagrams etc.. One of the lessons (11, I think) has a model answer on describing a count-wheel striking mechanism with beautiful 3D drawings etc. Crazy, that would take me at least an hour to draw and write..

All those clock component names can be tricky, I agree!  

It was pretty hard to arrange an invigilator (I'm in Singapore) -- they seem to be very strict about it. I have no idea if I can arrange one for year 2 and 3..

Cheers!

Rob

Hi Rob,

I can give you a suggestion about the lengthy writing and the time limit. Let's see, the time limit....mmmm, in martial arts we usually fight opponents with different builds, i.e. they can be much bigger and stronger than us...at that time we "upgrade" out style. Let me explain, it is a mind thing. You have to simply accelerate you normal way of fighting and capture details faster...as a multiple of your normal speed. I also have use this "state of mind" for timed exams...and it works for me.

As for the writing, you already have a "prototype" to guide you, write it several times as fast as you can but without mistakes. Start at your normal speed and accelerate little by little until you are at the speed you think you will have to have in the real test. Once there, imagine other situations where you will have to write something similar and do you own writing...the first time it will take a lot of time, but you will re write the whole thing again and again as you did with the prototype.

Those "techniques" have worked for me in the past...I hope it helps!

Cheers,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the theory exam (D1) went ok; no unanswerable questions, except for some 1-point questions. I actually had 15m left over! :)

The quartz servicing exam (D4) was kind of a frustrating mess. I had so much trouble getting consistent readings for average movement consumption since my DMM (Philips PM2525) was misbehaving. I was on the floor twice to hunt for a pinged-away part, which normally hardly happens anymore. Found them on both occasions, luckily! Then my final rinsing fluid turned out to be questionable, and my rodico was leaving a lot more residue than usual. No idea what was going on.

In the end, I took 5.5 hours out of 6 allocated, which I hadn't expected at all. I think all functions of the watch worked OK, but I have no idea if I get slammed on cleanliness -- they are very strict. 

This was also the first time I used my new Chinese water-resistance tester, which didn't help. I've never been able to test it because all other watches I have are not water resistant at all and will likely drown instantly.. 

14 minutes ago, teegee said:

Well, the theory exam (D1) went ok; no unanswerable questions, except for some 1-point questions. I actually had 15m left over! :)

The quartz servicing exam (D4) was kind of a frustrating mess. I had so much trouble getting consistent readings for average movement consumption since my DMM (Philips PM2525) was misbehaving. I was on the floor twice to hunt for a pinged-away part, which normally hardly happens anymore. Found them on both occasions, luckily! Then my final rinsing fluid turned out to be questionable, and my rodico was leaving a lot more residue than usual. No idea what was going on.

In the end, I took 5.5 hours out of 6 allocated, which I hadn't expected at all. I think all functions of the watch worked OK, but I have no idea if I get slammed on cleanliness -- they are very strict. 

This was also the first time I used my new Chinese water-resistance tester, which didn't help. I've never been able to test it because all other watches I have are not water resistant at all and will likely drown instantly.. 

Well congratulations on passing the D1 exam!

JC

I may add, congratulations on finishing on time with subpar equipment...it proves you are good and a risk taker, err.. bold, adventurous,  reckless, brave and hard boiled, I don't know what else to add, the dictionary ends there! I think you passed!!! :)

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Best wishes.. I had read about BHI curricula and I was under the impression it was about demonstrating toolmaking abilities for 2 years before touching a watch. What they had you do seems much more realistic. BTW 2 months waiting for the results doesn't seem acceptable to me.

Well, tool/part making and metalworking skill is an important part of it. I like it a lot, especially with tutor feedback. The whole hands-on clock and watch side of it is a lot more self-directed, i.e. there is no feedback during the course (at least in the 1st year) on any watches that you service. The quartz exam is actually the first time anyone will ever evaluate my servicing work, so it would be kinda painful if I'd fail it on something that would have been pointed out after 10 seconds by a tutor/mentor.

If you're in the UK, you can do short courses at Upton Hall that assist with exam preparation and general DLC progress. I'd love to do some, but I'm on the other side of the planet..