How to open an old Elgin pocket watch?

wow,  nice chart, i copied for referance.  with some minor math  you should be able to select the amount of dome on a hunting case acquired with no crystal.!  measuring  the opening in the bezile accurately is the next step.  good luck.  vinn

• Like 1

Well it's been awhile since I worked on this one. I thought I was nearly done, having finally found a crystal. Thanks to whomever mentioned Dave's by the way!

Anyway, I pulled it out tonight to measure for the crystal and I noticed that will the balance wheel was beating and the second hand moving, the hour and minute hands aren't. It appears the other wheels are engaging and moving but for some reason the hour and minute hands aren't moving. Back to the drawing board this weekend! Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...

OK I know it has been awhile but I have an update with a question. I have received another crystal that I am going to try and fit today. I pulled the watch out the other day to remeasure, gave it a wind, and the second-hand get running right away. However, I noticed two things one which seems very unusual. When winding the watch, the minute and second hands turn. That seems strange. When pulling the lever to set the hands, that seems to work properly except once I have it set and push the lever back in, the second-hand ticks but the hour and minute hands do not move. Hope this makes sense. I was really hoping to have this one finished today finally but it looks like I am having bigger issues which are going to require a strip down again. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Well I know this is a very old thread but I'm going to finally attempt to finish this this weekend. I believe I have found a crystal but before putting it in I'm having some issues. While the second hand is moving and appears to be operating as it should, the minute hand is not moving. Also, with the lever pushed in, the crown will still turn the hands while winding. What could be causing these issues???

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It sounds like a cannon pinion issue.  Has it been snapped back in place properly?  If it has, it could be needing tightened.  
I'll take a look. Was hoping to have an idea before I broke her down again. Thanks Geo that gives me some direction. I'll let you know what I find.

• 2 weeks later...
It sounds like a cannon pinion issue.  Has it been snapped back in place properly?  If it has, it could be needing tightened.  
Geo everything appears fine unless I misunderstand the function. The center wheel turns the Canon correct? Is it possible this is not happening because it fits too loose? Does there need to be a crimp or anything to hold it?

The cannon pinion should be slightly tight on the centre pinion to allow slippage when setting the hands, but tight enough to allow the hands to be driven by the pinion.

Have a read of this thread it may help you.  

Geo I actually found the problem. The lever that pulls out to set the watch actually had a loose screw and so it wasn't actuation the way it should. Tightened it down and now she is working ok.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...