Vintage watchmaker tools - how to use them

DGW

I'm rather new to the watchmaker world and more focused on the larger pocket watch movements.  As I look for the older vintage tools, I get confused on just how some of these tools were used.  Does anyone know where to find videos demonstrating how the vintage watchmaker tools were used?  Thank you!

If you post some pictures of tools you have seen, I am sure between us all we could have a good (or bad) guess at what they are for, if you don't know what they are for it will be difficult to find a video explaining it.

Edited by Tiktok
  • Like 1

I would also like to see the tools.  I prefer to read a book - there is a very good one on the subject of "watch tools"  I can look it up.  pocket  watches are a great place to start  "watch making". I  have found the two main problems are obtaining a crystal and corrosion in the stem. "keep up the good work".  vinn

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tiktok said:

If you post some pictures of tools you have seen, I am sure between us all we could have a good (or bad) guess at what they are for, if you don't know what they are for it will be difficult to find a video explaining it.

12 hours ago, Tiktok said:

Posted some photos.  Thank you

DGW, the last picture relate to the jewels. Some sort of expansion tools to close and/or open the hole where they go...it is in the forum somewhere. The 3rd picture up from the bottom, is a depth gauge if I'm not mistaken...

Now, I have no idea about the rest and honestly I haven't even tried or used any of the tools you have posted...I would use the center tool in the first picture to bury a watch that is giving me a headache! :)

Sorry I can't say much about those...but don't dismay, our experts will soon lift the mystery!

Cheers,

Bob

• Like 1

Following is what they are as far as I can tell. You should then be able to find information on using them.

1st photo:

1. Combination tool, used for a number of jobs. See instructions at the bottom of this page http://www.watchpartsandtools.com/JewelSetting.html

2. Pallet warmer, one of the above jobs

3. A type of screw head polishing tool

2nd photo: Not really sure, looks like some type of pivot straightening tool. Appears to be lacking a means to turn it

3rd photo: A bow mill or bow milling tool. Used in the fitting of pocket watch bows

4th photo: Jewelling tools, for either opening or closing Jewel settings

Stephen

No. 3 in the first photo is a handle with a set of three lantern chucks for holding screws of different sizes to allow trimming, finishing and polishing the ends of screws.  It is nothing to do with polishing the heads.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geo said:

No. 3 in the first photo is a handle with a set of three lantern chucks for holding screws of different sizes to allow trimming, finishing and polishing the ends of screws.  It is nothing to do with polishing the heads.

Thanks for that - I've never used it but that's what I was told it was for. To be honest I did wonder how you were supposed to keep the screw level ;)!

timing screw holders sounds right.  part of an antique  method of balancing by moving small  screws the balance wheel.  not used on modern watches.  probably a valuable antique.  the pallet  warmer you will use.    thanks for the photos.

On EBay people often put quite odd descriptions of items - presumably they've no idea what they are and just put something they think sounds good.

This one for example :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Movement-Holder-Ref-5362-/252356832437?hash=item3ac1a3acb5:g:gxQAAOSwHQ9WYH6s

I've actually written to them to tell them it's a roller remover, but they never responded and never changed the listing. What makes it worse is that they are actually a horological supply company.

I'm glad I got a reaction on this because I don't think its right, but what it does give us is other pictures of this thing and how it might work. So I did a  little investigating and found this video and it is a bow pivoting tool.

Edited by oldhippy