New forum version

The new forum version has just been put online and while thanking Mark's for his hard work allow me to say that I don't like it.

All the changes (which are many) to the UI appears to be motivated more by the sake of arbitrary changes than real user needs or improvement.

Many features which were useful ("new content" is one, another is the precious video" section portraying Mark's best introductions to the trade) are gone or have changed name or place.

The new skin is not particularly appealing or easy to use. The editor interface is same old stuff that has been around 10 years now, but has lost control on attachment placement, posting preview, and probably many more things. I believe however these aspects can be customized..

And since I can't reply to the existing topic, I had to open this new one.

At the same time I understand the compelling reasons to update, to not be separated from support and mainstream tendencies.

Nothing of that is new to me, having been in IT for decades and having witnesses as many steps back as advances, I think that's not a big deal, what matters is the content and this fortunately the forum rich in it.

All that said in my own humble opinion and sincere appreciation for the work and intents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdm said:

The new forum version has just been put online and while thanking Mark's for his hard work allow me to say that I don't like it.

All the changes (which are many) to the UI appears to be motivated more by the sake of arbitrary changes than real user needs or improvement.

Many features which were useful ("new content" is one, another is the precious video" section portraying Mark's best introductions to the trade) are gone or have changed name or place.

The new skin is not particularly appealing or easy to use. The editor interface is same old stuff that has been around 10 years now, but has lost control on attachment placement, posting preview, and probably many more things. I believe however these aspects can be customized..

And since I can't reply to the existing topic, I had to open this new one.

At the same time I understand the compelling reasons to update, to not be separated from support and mainstream tendencies.

Nothing of that is new to me, having been in IT for decades and having witnesses as many steps back as advances, I think that's not a big deal, what matters is the content and this fortunately the forum rich in it.

All that said in my own humble opinion and sincere appreciation for the work and intents.

@jdm So far I am actually pleased with the new version. From an admin point of view there are a lot of great enhancements.

The UI is a massive improvement as finally we have a responsive website which will display well no matter what the screen size. The old template was not friendly in this respect.

The 'New Content' section is much better, click on the "Activity" tab in the site header and have a play.

I have not played with the editor yet so will not comment.

Topic replies have been dealt with.

Thanks for the feedback - I do apreciate it :)

Its something that change brings, things of unfamiliar sights, and usage, time changes, and we had to adapt, I at first didn't like this software when it was implemented on  another site I frequent, but soon got used to it, and seeing it here now too, its not bad at all.  Well done Mark.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SSTEEL said:

Its something that change brings, things of unfamiliar sights, and usage, time changes, and we had to adapt, I at first didn't like this software when it was implemented on  another site I frequent, but soon got used to it, and seeing it here now too, its not bad at all.  Well done Mark.

Yes Mickey, I was quite anxious about upgrading, but it could have been a lot worse. Credit to Invision for making the upgrade tool so easy to use. Overall it's a vast improvement over the old version (thoughts of the UI aside). The backend is very good and the HTML/CSS coding allows for a better experience with different size screens - altogether, I am happy with it, but I have found a few bugs which I am sure will get ironed out in future releases. :)

Does anyone know why I can't sign in on my tablet? (Microsoft Surface RT Windows RT 8.1). Everything else  (phone and PC) is fine but on the Surface every time I try to type in my screen name the keyboard disappears as if I had hit return. works fine with everything else. 

I do not have one of those tablets to test. I have done a search of the incision forums and Google and cannot find any articles with people having similar experiences so I am at a loss as to how to help.

Just a thought, Can you sign in with Facebook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Marc said:

Does anyone know why I can't sign in on my tablet? (Microsoft Surface RT Windows RT 8.1). Everything else  (phone and PC) is fine but on the Surface every time I try to type in my screen name the keyboard disappears as if I had hit return. works fine with everything else. 

I had the same problem using the same hardware and software. When I tried using the on-screen keyboard to type my credentials, the logon screen kept closing. I have a physical keyboard on the tablet, and that worked.

I tried with a blue tooth keyboard but the same thing kept happening.

Thanks Rodralph for confirming that it isn't just my setup that's at issue. Signing in via facebook seems to be my best work around.