So-Called "smart" Watches...

I wish they wouldn't since it is not a "real" watch but only a representation of one.  Personally, I own many of them but there is something wrong about mixing a computer with genuine watches....just my opinion, I'm sure they'll add it here anyway since it is the "current trend", lol;)

Edited by jeffc83

Personally I think smart watches are dumb...well, they aren't watches and they aren't computers so...maybe they are retarded electronics compensating to "look" smart!? :startle:

Hey, they are really crappy mini-computers that do practically nothing;)  Love your response Bob!

• Like 2

Given the forums emphasis on repair, my vote is that we consider it if and when the repair of smart watches becomes something we/others can engage in. If that day comes I see no reason we couldn't have a smart watch subsection on the forum.

Edited by Ishima

Okay...there are lots of them around now. Should the forum have a sub forum for smart watches?

I don't think so.

"Watch Repairs Help and Advice" and "Watch Service Walkthroughs" sections would cover them just as it does any other type of watch, be it manual wind, automatic, Quartz or electric.

The important thing to remember is, as with all threads, is to correctly describe it in the title of the thread. This allows people to find the information more easily when using the "search facility".

• Like 1

I somehow can't imagine a smart watch being repaired in the sense that we use the word - and repair is really the purpose of this forum. From what I've seen of them, they won't be repaired as we know it - they'll probably be thrown away or the complete insides (a mini-computer) will simply be replaced.

Can you repair an iPad or similar tablet? Can you repair a smart phone? If the answer is "no" to both these questions, then I doubt that you'll be able to repair a smart watch!

Take a look at this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+X-ray+Teardown/41323

I'm sure there will ultimately be forums for this kind of thing, but I don't think Mark set up this forum with it in mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well there's certainly been some discussion in this thread.  Look...I wasn't meaning to impose a point of view on anyone here.  Just discussion.  Fortunately for us lovers of fine timepieces the smartwatch has not, yet, made a good mechanical timepiece obsolete.  But these little critters are developing very quickly.

The first smartwatches were clunky and to see the time you had to push a button.  Battery life was atrocious and the sound quality was laughable.  Well the battery life is creeping up to about three days, the sound quality is now really good and most of the newer units have "gesture on" ability...in other words when you lift your wrist to look at the phone the screen comes to life.  Talking of the screen, nowadays you can choose any number of watch faces.  To all intents and purposes you can make the electronic doohickey look exactly like an expensive chronograph!  Even the cheapest units are starting to look snazy.  I'll post some pics for you to peruse.  

oukitel_a28_smart_watch.jpgkairos-smart-watch-with-auto-mechanical-

I somehow can't imagine a smart watch being repaired in the sense that we use the word - and repair is really the purpose of this forum. From what I've seen of them, they won't be repaired as we know it - they'll probably be thrown away or the complete insides (a mini-computer) will simply be replaced.

Can you repair an iPad or similar tablet? Can you repair a smart phone? If the answer is "no" to both these questions, then I doubt that you'll be able to repair a smart watch!

Take a look at this:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+X-ray+Teardown/41323

I'm sure there will ultimately be forums for this kind of thing, but I don't think Mark set up this forum with it in mind.

Much the same as iPhone/iPad you can replace the screen,battery but any other repairs forget it. I read somewhere the average life of a  smart phone is 5 years they either break or are replaced for an upgrade.

No imposition felt whatsoever, Stroppy - it's always good to bat a different topic around!

That's why I put the topic up...to generate a little alternate discussion.  

You know what makes me really sad?  A lot of kids are no longer wearing watches...and in writing "kids" I mean folks up to their late twenties.  They seem to rely entirely on their mobile phones (cellphones, for you US folks).

When you ask a young lad why he isn't wearing a watch he'll usually say, "It's square to wear those / they are uncomfortable / I don't need one, I have a phone!"  Mamma mia!  

What worries me a little is that just as wristwatches supplanted the pocket watch so too will the phone and the wearable.  Such is life, I suppose.

Yes, I know a number of people - and certainly not all youngsters either - who just use their mobile phone as a watch, whether the phone is "smart" or not. And some people just feel uncomfortable wearing a watch.

I wouldn't worry about conventional watches dying out. When cassettes and CDs appeared, the death of vinyl was predicted many times - a completely wrong prediction, as it turned out. Similarly, when readers like the Kindle appeared, and computers began to generate e-books, the death of printd books was predicted. Book sales have actually increased over the years (and I speak as an ex-university librarian)!

People who love finely engineered things will always exist, and so will the things that they love.

• Like 1

Yes, I know a number of people - and certainly not all youngsters either - who just use their mobile phone as a watch, whether the phone is "smart" or not. And some people just feel uncomfortable wearing a watch.

I wouldn't worry about conventional watches dying out. When cassettes and CDs appeared, the death of vinyl was predicted many times - a completely wrong prediction, as it turned out. Similarly, when readers like the Kindle appeared, and computers began to generate e-books, the death of printd books was predicted. Book sales have actually increased over the years (and I speak as an ex-university librarian)!

People who love finely engineered things will always exist, and so will the things that they love.

Yes...there are people who appreciate true craftsmanship, fortunately for us Watchophiles.

Yes, the demise of the watch industry as such...but the resurgence of the watch industry as jewelry! You'll be surprised how many people -- kids and young adults -- price their cheapo, good looking watch when they "dress up" whatever that means nowadays! They don't even care if they work, but they need that "touch" of jewelry on their wrists to complete the outfit! For the time, they don't even care or use their cells!

Quartz is what killed this industry...I'm just glad it is still hanging in there and that there are still many people that appreciate the engineering and design that goes into a mechanical watch.  I was shocked to see Swatch develop the sistem 51, even though it is garbage IMO;)  As WillFly stated, the watch industry is not going to die. (as a side note, nothing beats vinyl, lol)

• Like 1

The answer is yes, you can. For example I've replaced the display on my Samsung, which required selecting and ordering the right part, separating the phone halves, disconnecting the delicate flat cables, reassembly and testing everything. There is also a more advanced repair where only the actual display is unglued from the shell, that requires a special machine and the related skill.

In principle these being manual work requiring intelligence, are not much different from repairing a watch.

Also, an hobbyst can do even more on a smartwatch, can design a new dial, or develop a new application.

It's a bit like the newspaper industry which I worked for for many years. First radio then TV then the internet all gave the message newspapers are finished. But low and behold they still survive BUT nothing like the circulations as before. Mechanical watches will also survive BUT with diminished sales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a bit like the newspaper industry which I worked for for many years. First radio then TV then the internet all gave the message newspapers are finished. But low and behold they still survive BUT nothing like the circulations as before. Mechanical watches will also survive BUT with diminished sales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may be old school but I'm in my mid-30's and still read the local newspaper every day.  You're absolutely right, the prices went up a lot due to decreased subscriptions.,,I was also informed that most readers are subscribing using their ipad.   Sad world.

Just to reiterate, I am going "off-line" permanently if there is a smartwatch section here, LOL;)  

Edited by jeffc83

Last word from me on the Smartwatch debate as with all electronic gadgets the more sold the lower the price. When the price drops & the design improves sales will increase & they will become the must have gadget of the day.

I think the real point about a smart watch - as far as a "watch repair forum" is concerned - is that it isn't a watch. It's a small computer worn on the wrist with several possible "apps" available for it - GPS, wi-fi, email, watch, and anything else you might think of. The skills required to deal with such devices are interesting - and I'm sure there are/will be forums that deal with them.

Last words from me as well.

I think the real point about a smart watch - as far as a "watch repair forum" is concerned - is that it isn't a watch. It's a small computer worn on the wrist with several possible "apps" available for it - GPS, wi-fi, email, watch, and anything else you might think of. The skills required to deal with such devices are interesting - and I'm sure there are/will be forums that deal with them.

Last words from me as well.

PHEW !!!