Dial (face) cleaning?

2 hours ago, Ishima said:

To clarify, this watch does not take a regular rubber o-ring, it takes a hard, red plastic ring. that necessarily fills the significant space that was designed between the case and case back.

that definitely clears up a lot about this caseback. good to know. thank you, ishima.

and thanks for the request, louis.

• Like 1

Well I don't get back to work (where the gaskets are) for a couple of days but here's the cousins web page where you can navigate through your choices for these gaskets. 

https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/red-hard-gaskets

Can't really help with the measurement. Whatever the watch, just keep in mind the internal measurement should be tight enough that the red gasket is firm on the case back. (then the rest should be fine, in theory)

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2015 at 10:03 PM, Bill3 said:

This is my first post to this forum. I have very rudimentary watch repair skills and only a modicum of knowledge about watch repair, so please have some forbearance. I have always heard that watch dials cannot be cleaned, but this watch has tempted me to try. I have attached a picture of the gold filled Elgin that I want to clean. I know that the picture is bad, but perhaps you can the black smudge around the numeral 1. Additionally, the gold numerals are dull and have a smug end appearance.

Here are my questions. Is it indeed always hopeless to try to clean a watch dial? Is there a way that I can brighten up the gold numerals?

Thanks in advance.

image.jpg

Hi, nice watch. i have the same model-different face, took the face off to clean it with a Q tip and some one suggested windex. bad idea took the numbers off around the second hand. now i'll have to put them back on, good thing i took pictures. I just joined this site-should have asked these guys they know what they're doing-the learning curve is bumpy.

• 1 month later...

If it were mine, I'd let them be.

If you really really really want to try something, I found that an ammonia based window cleaner is usually gentle enough to remove some discoloration of the lacquer without harming anything else. Apply gently with a cotton swab, rinse well with water, dry thoroughly. It may take a couple of minutes to see results, but if nothing happens after that time, rinse and dry.

As usual, YMMV.

I wouldnt recommend removing them, there are too many variables to watch dial cleaning, what is the compostion of the dial is it laquered? is the printing on top of the laquer or underneath, what has caused the marks is it oxidisation? has the laquer been affected by damp or even oil. Can the laquer be removed without dragging the printed details with it.

options:

live with it, a good idea in my opinion the dial although not perfect looks acceptable to me you have neither improved or worsend the dial by opting to do this

Look for a dial on ebay to replace the one you have,

have the dial profesionally restored, expensive but you will end up with a mint looking dial, but that in my eyes would be very obvious to any collector and many would actually consider this of detriment to the watch,

Have a go yourself and for ever regret the day you tried any of the snake oil remedies that can be found on the web. If you are thinking of cleaning it then try it on a very small area first you may get lucky and find a technique that works, but I've searched and never found a satisfactury way to clean light coloured dials on the web, but have seen many lamentable attempts.

Edited by wls1971
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jdrichard said:

So in the picture, this watch has some interesting spots. How would you recommend removing these, if it is even possible?

I recall this was asked recently and of course the answer is the same. As other members have noted already, this cannot be "cleaned" because is not "dirty". The paint has oxidized, which is an irreversible process, in some spots.

If you want an antique watch with a perfect dial, buy one that has it since the beginning.

• Like 1

I recall this was asked recently and of course the answer is the same. As other members have noted already, this cannot be "cleaned" because is not "dirty". The paint has oxidized, which is an irreversible process, in some spots.
If you want an antique watch with a perfect dial, buy one that has it since the beginning.

Got it, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi, Bo from Sweden here again.

While my Pierce 103 and Revue 56 adventures are taking a rest, waiting for parts (and courage), I couldn't keep away from another piece from the same period (?) that I stumbled over.

I have attached a few snaps from this more than usually grimy thing.

But believe it or not, the thing is (hesitantly) running.

My main question is concerning the dial. As can be seen, it's heavily oxidized and darkened and as I'm sure there are members with a devotion to aged dials, I thought I should get some advice before I mess this one up worse than it is.

I don't suppose there really is a lot one can do, and probably shouldn't either. The appearance is part of the story, I feel. But if there are some mild ways and methods to revive it a bit, I am grateful for feedback.

Also, if anyone should recognize the watch brand and/or movement, I would appreciate that as well.

a50e6cba27d1458f215f74f966b44dc1.jpgd9e6c33e886217c27cd370e0843f646e.jpg0a9dce5dafaa26e2f8f6b2d50f4ec8bb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well personally I'd leave it as it is.  Most of the data elements of the dial are still visible and there is good contrast between the colors.  Sending out for a restoration will return a dial that will probably look a bit too good for the case (assuming the case has seventy years of wear on it as well).  Lastly that dial is swimming with radium and should be handled as little as possible.  

It's a nice piece too by the way.  :)

Hi, Bo from Sweden here again.

While my Pierce 103 and Revue 56 adventures are taking a rest, waiting for parts (and courage), I couldn't keep away from another piece from the same period (?) that I stumbled over.

I have attached a few snaps from this more than usually grimy thing.

But believe it or not, the thing is (hesitantly) running.

My main question is concerning the dial. As can be seen, it's heavily oxidized and darkened and as I'm sure there are members with a devotion to aged dials, I thought I should get some advice before I mess this one up worse than it is.

I don't suppose there really is a lot one can do, and probably shouldn't either. The appearance is part of the story, I feel. But if there are some mild ways and methods to revive it a bit, I am grateful for feedback.

Also, if anyone should recognize the watch brand and/or movement, I would appreciate that as well.

a50e6cba27d1458f215f74f966b44dc1.jpgd9e6c33e886217c27cd370e0843f646e.jpg0a9dce5dafaa26e2f8f6b2d50f4ec8bb.jpg

Is it possible to give this kind of dials a spray with some kind of coat, as a way of preserving them from further decay ?

I googled a bit more and found someone who had wiped/cleaned a dial using a light oil.

So I put a couple of drops of 9020 oil on a cotton pin and gently wetted and dried off the dial.

And indeed a lot of green stuff (oxide?) stuck on the pin leaving the dial in the shape below.

Not too bad considering....

Any comments or feedback on this is appreciated.

IMG_3295.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Loving that. Can't tell if the band around the numbers is oxidised copper or silver. If the former then an ammoniated cleaner might help, or if the latter then silver dip might help. This could make the contrast really pop.

Of course both of these could lead to ruin... I quite like it as it is :-)

Ok, that I recognize. Have used it on some non-watch silver items and it does remove oxide effectively.

I saw a note previously where someone apparently put a silver coating on a clean brass or copper dial. I guess that's also via some chemical wizardry?

Won't experiment any further with my dial though but move on to see if the movement can be made operational again.

Thanks for all feedback and recommendations so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Tricky that one Roy. The print is starting to go so probably best left alone. I did do a similar one a while back by reprinting the dial using Adobe Indesign & an Epson P50 printer onto thick photo paper initially, but eventually used opaque white water slide paper onto the original brass dial as this supported the movement in the case (& forgot to take a picture of the final result). However the dial wasn't textured like yours, so may not work as well.20151005_175602r.jpg.d85e3be7ebe5a0e8a8138516f83db434.jpg

• Like 1