Can You Help Me Identify This Jaguar Watch?

Hello all,

I'm a newbie here but I have read many posts in this forum over the last couple of years and I find the whole forum remarkably informative.  

I am an avid watch collector...I love watches of all types...even fakes that people have brought back to me from overseas as presents (knowing that I am nuts about watches).

One watch in my collection is a particular favourite for sentimental reasons.  My father bought it for me in 1972 on his way back from Europe to Australia.  He stopped off in Singapore for the usual one day buying spree and bought two watches at one of Singapore's largest department stores...one for my brother and one for me.  Knowing my interest in unusual watches he sought the most complicated and unusual watch he could find for me.  Both watches had what appears to be sapphire crystal lenses, both are "mechanical digital" (I believe they are called "jump watches").  My watch also has a rotating world time outer bezel whilst my brother's watch does not.  Both watches show hours, minutes, seconds and the date on the grey outer dial...both watches were originally fitted with stainless steel clasp bands but they broke over the years and I replaced mine with a PVC band.  The reason I could never fit another clasp band was that the watch required curved spring lugs!  The photo of the back, below, will show why this is...the case was not machined back to allow for straight lugs to be fitted.  I remember taking the watch to a jeweller in 1975 and he just scratched his head and said he'd never come across a watch which required curved lugs!

Both watches are labelled "Jaguar" with "Swiss Made" at the lower part of the dial.  Both watches are wind-up 17 jewel movements (I'm not sure if they are pin lever or not...I've never had the backs off) and the cases are chromed base metal.  I have written to the Festina Group who own the trade name of "Jaguar" watches to see if it is one of their earlier models but I'm not too sure if I will have much luck with tracking the watch identity that way.  I have scanned the net with absolutely no luck.  So now I am calling on your collective mental resources to see if you can identify these watches.  I will attach the photos I took of my watch here.  I apologise for the quality of the photography...I used my mobile phone!

Any information greatly appreciated...

e81slt.jpg  15x346.jpg  1zgldg.jpg

Welcome stroppy,

Although I'm not familiar with those watches, I still wanted to give you a warm welcome and the hope that maybe someone here will be able to answer your question soon! Hope you enjoy our online community (site).

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Stroppy,

I suspect you may be looking for information that doesn't really mean much.  Watch manufacturers are in the habit of changing models very frequently and not giving them meaningful names or numbers... so when you get your answer you may discover that this is a model 114.273/9a (or some such).  It's a bit quirky and it looks great so wear it and enjoy it!

It would be useful to know what movement was used inside the watch... this would help you see which other brands used the same movement and would give you a feeling for the quality, and also if parts are generally available.  Given that it is nearly as old as I am, it is probably due a service.  If the glass is acratched

The watch guy shows what's inside an automatic jump hour watch here:

http://watchguy.co.uk/repair-service-ultra-precision-digital-automatic-jump-hour-watch-forster-221/

The strap problem is not unique.  You can get a special tool for curving spring bars, or you can buy them pre-curved for example here:

https://www.watchbattery.co.uk/shop/Curved-Spring-Bars.shtml

You can also get hold of straps with curved ends if you want too:

http://www.watchobsession.co.uk/products/hirsch-medici-leather-watch-strap-black-ivory-stitching?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=337222842&gclid=CjwKEAiAy7SzBRD_lv7quOnr6XUSJAAOLkW6cjOOuPsBkwaA0zjXs_W2hmiPzYMXaFOVcdiel33NZBoCHODw_wcB

Many jewellers will also have a strap notching punch to neatly cut the corners off if you want a strap which is wider than its fixing.

I have no affiliation with any of these, they just came up on google...

Regards

Stuart

Thanks Bob and Stuart. 

Stuart, I understand what you are saying about identifying the watch, however the watch has become a "family mystery" and I've been tasked with solving it.

I took it to many jewellers over the years who just scratched their heads and said they'd never seen anything like it.  One did pop the back (scratching it in the process) and came back and told me the movement was a run-of-the-mill Incabloc unit with 17 jewels.

The crystal is lightly scratched and I'm going to polish it using a cerium oxide kit.  The case needs rechroming and it probably could do with a service, as you suggest.

I'm delighted with those links!  Now I can get a stainless steel band for it so that it looks the way it did when I was 13.  Thanks!

Now all I hope is that someone else here has seen this watch in the past and that Festina sends me an answer.

Well the folks at Jaguar/Festina wrote back.  They can't identify the watch and it doesn't carry the Jaguar head motif engraved on the case back like all other Jaguar watches.  So back to the drawing board.  As fictional Dr. Smith would say..."Oh the pain...the pain!"

ro63rto!   Wow...just wow!  You have rekindled my hope in identifying my watch.  I know that I have been advised that the search would be fruitless but I have a strong sentimental reason for trying to get to the bottom of who made this thing.

Your desk clock branding is, indeed, identical.  I took the liberty of uploading your picture and then transposing the logo on the face of my watch and, bingo, a perfect match!  The font is identical.

So please, pray tell...what can you tell me about your desk clock as regards the movement, the manufacturer, etc...?

So my watch might have a 17 jewel pin lever, perhaps???  I know that BFG made a 17 jewel pin lever movement and a 1 jewel movement...as well as a few others.  What intrigues me is that the movement is marked "Jaguar Watch Company".  When I contacted Festina/Jaguar they said that watches not bearing their "Jaguar head" logo but named Jaguar might all be fakes.  However your desk clock and my watch attest to the fact there may have been another company in Switzerland with the Jaguar brand name.  I wonder what that logo on the movement represents.

Oh, my friend!  If you were here in Australia (where it is a very, very hot morning) I would buy you a beer and the best steak meal!   The 70301 watch is my watch in gold plating!  The 7020A is my brother's watch!  The only difference is the branding...Sindaco versus Jaguar.  What else can you tell me?

A forty year mystery almost at an end!  

Oh my friend...I am in tears...literally in tears!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!  This watch was given to me by my beloved father who is now no longer with us.  He gave me the more complicated watch with the international time bezel and the simpler watch without the bezel to my brother (who promptly lost his watch some years later...he never really liked watches).  

Now the mystery is at an end.  If you come to Australia, PM me and the steak and the Moretti are yours!  And I will introduce you to some nice Australian beers and wines as well.  

What else can you tell me about Sindaco?

Sorry for the late reply, Roberto...I was getting my dog organised to escape the heat.  It's going to be 41oC here today and the hot sun has already risen in fury!

It seems Sindaco were responsible for the Chinese industry plus they provided lots of pin lever movements for the nascent Hong Kong assemblers.

One thing I've learned is that although the movements were simple they were strong, sturdy, reasonably accurate and loud...as my is.  Sindaco were also fashion leaders in the 70s.  I wonder if any part of the company still exists in Locarno?

41° [emoji33]

I wish our summers were hot and not just for 2 days [emoji20]

Can't find ANY listings for them any more.

My friend, at 41oC you can smell your garden plants cooking!   It gets really tiring after a few days...you have to hide inside with the air con running at top speed!

Edited by stroppy