Huygens Planisphaerium Moon Phase Triple Chime Bracket Clock

steven

Just repaired a Huygens clock. I'm posting some photos of the motion works behind the dial.

2e6ebbad57a8ccb55fb6674b4e9bf66b.jpg

c5f77fd29755d4d49f8a00a0d6d921d1.jpg

279fa4d752f79ff8aea4c5bd9787d807.jpg

3162a759aafecf51a9dc2672317c39e0.jpg

56f2ec60953bfcb1be755460bf47722f.jpg

Note that the center winding shaft is at the upper position which transfer the winding action by a few wheels to the lower position where the mainspring barrel is normally located.

Sent from my Lenovo S650 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Now that's an interesting piece Stephen, the name is almost as sophisticated as the movement inside. At first I thought it was a really old clock, but the heavy use of circlips on the shafts suggest otherwise. I like all your coloured timing marks! :)

• Like 1

Roughly what's the value of this clock? Just want to know since I'm repairing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's one on ebay for sale at just under £300 so it might have a value of around £100, trouble is with these clocks they were so mass produced and there not that old so there's so many.

It could be the moonphase ones you are referring to on ebay. I found this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Calendar-Zodiac-Clock-Musical-Walnut-Bracket-Clock-Christiaan-Huygens-/111407563338111407563338 instead and the winning bid is £1120.

Who ever paid that amount can't be right in the head and can't know anything about clocks. I stand by what I said before with my price.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi steven,

Whatever the value or price, this is an awesome clock and definitely with a vintage "flavor" and features that, to me, are very desirable. I hope you get your money worth of your repair. Keep up the good work! Very much impressed with it and learning something: color coded timing marks! Never thought of that!...but then I'm not a clock repair guy.

Cheers,

Bob

A nice clock & I presume with a westminster chime or musical chimes of some sort.  The movement has been worked on before going by all the alignment paint markings. The value is hard to access, the eBay one that sold for £1200 is way over my estimate but is a nice looking clock.

Bob, it's indeed an impressive clock which I'd love to have. I'm glad I got a chance to repair one. I was excited when the customer brought it in. The customer's first question, walking in with the clock was, "can you repair this?" After looking at the main clock movement which I've repaired a few before, I accepted the 'challenge'.

Clockboy, it has Westminster, St. Michael and Whittington chime for selections. And you are right about the paint markings, it's done by the previous repairer.

Bob, it's indeed an impressive clock which I'd love to have. I'm glad I got a chance to repair one. I was excited when the customer brought it in. The customer's first question, walking in with the clock was, "can you repair this?" After looking at the main clock movement which I've repaired a few before, I accepted the 'challenge'.

Clockboy, it has Westminster, St. Michael and Whittington chime for selections. And you are right about the paint markings, it's done by the previous repairer.

I wonder what you would do if a customer came in with a triple fusse bracket clock with a verge escapement.

If they do never pick it up by the handle. Never pick any clock up by its handle.   

Oldhippy, there's no fusse clock or verge escapement type that comes my way before. I guess very few of such clocks in Malaysia.

I'll surely need some help if one comes along.

I didn't know you were in Malaysia. So are all the clocks modern?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

SENT YOU SOME INSTRUCTIONS ON THE PLANISPHAERIUM CLOCK. I was looking for someone to fix it and stumbled on your forum .

I HAVE ONE IT WAS MY FATHER'S AND HE MADE THE CASE FOR IT30 YEARS AGO HE DIED 5 YEARS AGO AND THE CLOCK HAS RUN FOR 30 YEARS AND HAS NEVER FAULTED UNTIL NOW  I THINK IT WANTS CLEANING HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST TO CLEAN ? OR YOU SAID YOU LIKE ONE .WOULD YOU LIKE TO BUY IT FOR YOURSELF.

MY EMAIL IS [email protected] if you are interested use this . mobile number is 07814576063.

E Harrison

1 Sea View

Ryhope 

Sunderland 

Tyne & ear

SR20PL

new pics 239.jpg

new pics 238.jpg

new pics 240.jpg